Where have the alias' gone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
My friend has a macbook. Sorry I can't tell you the model #. It is white and runs os 10.5.8.
Last night I was moving some things around. I imported come photos off of my iphone 4, using the image capture tool. I ended up only wanting 2 images, but 134+ of them ended up on the desktop. I deleted them after wards but he says that one of his programs went missing from the dock. Dock files are alias' right? all of the pics tat I deleted from the desktop ended up in the trash. (good thing) If I accidentally dropped/drag an alias to the desktop and then deleted it, would it be in the trash? It isn't. He claims it is open office, but I didn't see it and he isn't sure. according to soundforge, they don't make a 32bit .dmg version of open office. I am confused. Any of this make sense? I see that numbers, pages, and notes are now there. They wouldn't have deleted it right? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yes true, they are just a Alias or a link to the real App that sits in the Applications folder. Search in there and drag it back to the Dock, and all will be fine.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that is the weird part. I learned about alias in the dock from here. This site rocks! You people are great. I will look there for that app again. That is what I did yesterday and couldn't find it. At least I was able to chase down an older copy of it for his OS in case I need to reinstall it.
Many thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
An older copy of the operating system?

If it came from a pirate site do not install it!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I think your friend is having a lend of you. If you checked the trash after "this incident" and haven't emptied it, then you either didn't trash anything, or he/she is playing silly buggers, because anything deleted WOULD be in the Trash.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, Does open office document have an extension of .ods? I found it odd that there were no alias's in the trash, but the icon was gone. Also I can't find an open office folder or install. Quite weird. My friend says that icons have gone away and reappeared in the past. Possibly an OS issue or something else. I have to look. I think I remember seeing something about disappearing items.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.