Need help for stuck headphone jack

Reaction score
Hello there, this is my first post here, and just to let you guys know I'm a noobie. So I need help with a headphone jack that broke off, and is now stuck inside my headphones port. I have a Macbook Pro 13in Late 2011. I tried using super glue, but I think I used too much and ended up super glueing it in there. I've tried all kinds off picking and prying but the thing just won't come out. At this point, I don't even care about my headphones port, and just want sound back on my computer again. Now is there anyway to disconnect that port from my computer? I've seen tutorials online to replace it, but the tutorial was for a Macbook 15in mid-2013, and I was worried it might not be the same process. Also is there anywhere that I can find online to perhaps buy a new port? I've seen some people say that the only way is to get a complete new logic board, which is very expensive, and if it ends up being that, I think I'll just buy a IMic. Again I'm a noobie, so sorry if my questions are basic knowledge. Thanks for any feedback!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I have removed the tips from broken plugs from many iPad's, MacBook's and MacBook Pro's always with very careful application of superglue to the tip of a screw. Never too much glue, and very careful insertion, holding the screw in place for a good few minutes until it will stay in position without leaning to one side. Then I leave for a few hours, often overnight. Then pull the screw and out comes the tip of the broken plug. Sometimes it needs a second attempt, but it has always worked and with no damage to the audio socket, it's always been fully functional.

If you've glued the screw in and further damaged the socket, then you'll need a replacement logic board or a USB interface to use with earphones or external speakers. Some USB interfaces are only a few pounds when shipped from China, they work surprising well. I use one to give me an extra port for SDR radio control with Softrock transceivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Too much glue will defiantly have it stuck in there.
I am not a audiophile, but try downloading Soundflower (Rogue Amoeba have taken it over) install it then play around with the output settings. All failing, do as Steve above suggested and grab the USB Interface, because a knew logic boards don't come cheap . .

Cheers

OP
M
Reaction score
I have removed the tips from broken plugs from many iPad's, MacBook's and MacBook Pro's always with very careful application of superglue to the tip of a screw. Never too much glue, and very careful insertion, holding the screw in place for a good few minutes until it will stay in position without leaning to one side. Then I leave for a few hours, often overnight. Then pull the screw and out comes the tip of the broken plug. Sometimes it needs a second attempt, but it has always worked and with no damage to the audio socket, it's always been fully functional.

If you've glued the screw in and further damaged the socket, then you'll need a replacement logic board or a USB interface to use with earphones or external speakers. Some USB interfaces are only a few pounds when shipped from China, they work surprising well. I use one to give me an extra port for SDR radio control with Softrock transceivers.

I'll try the screwdriver with glue and leave it overnight, but if that doesn't work I think I might just get the USB interface with earphones you were talking about. Thanks for the help!

OP
M
Reaction score
Too much glue will defiantly have it stuck in there.
I am not a audiophile, but try downloading Soundflower (Rogue Amoeba have taken it over) install it then play around with the output settings. All failing, do as Steve above suggested and grab the USB Interface, because a knew logic boards don't come cheap . .

Cheers

Thanks for the link, I'll try it out and see if that works, otherwise I think I'll just get the USB interface. I appreciate the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.