Macbook Pro 2014 Ram and Battery

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at getting a Macbook Pro 2014 edition and I was considering upgrading the RAM at purchase point.
That said, would increasing the RAM have an impact on the battery life? Upgrading from the standard 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM to the 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM option.

Logic says that it's adding an additional component (a greater capacity component), therefore this would impact battery, albeit a minor amount?
Interested to know if there has been any research or reports of this as I'd really like to maintain the quoted "9-hours" battery life.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you NEED 16gig of ram…then you NEED 16gig of ram. It really shouldn't matter what it does to the battery life!;)

As you probably know…this isn't something you can put off till later. Since the ram is NOT upgradeable after purchase. But for what it's worth…the 16gig of ram shouldn't have much if any impact.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Adding more RAM will both degrade and improve battery life. Running more RAM does produce a *very very marginal* drop in battery life ... but way more than made up for in the speed of apps opening, less reliance on disk operations and general improvements in efficiency.

Bottom line: this is a non-issue. Don't waste any more time thinking about it and get the extra RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.