Virtual Lan for multiplayer games?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL
Hello,

I realise LAN is local area network however I am trying to setup a multiplayer LAN game over the internet and have heard of people doing this before using software such as Hamachi - but it is not working for me.

I have tried using Hamachi on the 2 computers to create and join a network. Hamachi gives a 25.X.X.X.X IP address. However when loading the game it says no multiplayer sessions can be found.

Do I need to configure the hamachi connection in System Preferences > Networks ? If so, how?
My understanding was that Hamachi did not require any additional configuring?

How about any other alternatives to get a 'virtual lan' for multiplayer games over the internet?

I notice Mac has a VLan option in System Preferences but I have no idea if this would work for this or how I would even set it up?

The games are:

* Lord of the Rings - War in the North which only has LAN and no online feature.
* Grid 1 (Car Racing) - LAN & Online with GameRanger - which is not compatible with OSX Mavericks.

Any help at all would be much appreciated even if you are not familiar with this software. Thanks.
P.S. I have done a lot of google searching but everything relates to windows, not mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Is hamachi showing a green status on each machine? No warnings?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL
Is hamachi showing a green status on each machine? No warnings?

Thanks for the reply. Yes both machines show a green status and no warnings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Then hamachi is working ok.

Not all games work over lan or have a different way of starting the game over lan rather than 'online'.

You also need to check that hamachi is high enough up the network list to ensure that game traffic is routed through that rather than one of your other connections

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then hamachi is working ok.

Not all games work over lan or have a different way of starting the game over lan rather than 'online'.

You also need to check that hamachi is high enough up the network list to ensure that game traffic is routed through that rather than one of your other connections

Thanks for the reply. The games are LAN compatible.

How exactly do I check Hamachi is high enough on the network list and configure it?
System Preferences > Networks only shows the ethernet and airport connections.

My understanding was that Mac OSX only showed the real network connections and not virtual connections such as Hamachi.

Many thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.