Mac Book Pro 13 inch Battery problems

Reaction score
So I got a brand new Mac Book Pro 13 inch Retina and the battery is currently at 75% and the time estimate is 4:40. If I'm not mistaken thats not the correct amount of time I should have left on the battery. I'm only running chrome and nothing else. I've reset the SMC and the PRAM. This is the second one. The first one I took back thinking it was a bad battery.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This is the second one. The first one I took back thinking it was a bad battery.

If you returned this 2nd one for a theorized "bad battery"...then that would probably make 2 computers returned unecessarily.;)

If:

75% = 4:40 left

Then:

100% = 6:13

Yes...6:13 (6 hours, 13 min) is less than the 9 hours Apple claims. But then again (since the very beginning of "laptop time")...battery runtime all depends on the settings & tasks being done. Just because you only have Chrome running...doesn't mena you can't be doing something that eats up a lot of energy. Plus your settings (bluetooth on, brightness setting, etc.) can eat up more energy than you think.

Again. If you returned this computer due to the battery...I'm afraid you will have returned two computers unecessarily.

- Nick

p.s. Welcome to Mac-Forums.:)

p.p.s. I'm assuming that this is a 13" retina MacBook Pro. If this is a 13" non-retina MacBook Pro...then Apple's battery runtime on a single charge is 7 hours. Which is VERY close to the 6 hours, 13 min. I mentioned above.

OP
N
Reaction score
Theres no way with this CPU load that it should be taking that much of a hit. The battery should last me 6 hours if I'm skyping which I currently am. The mac book pro should get 9 hours plus of web surfing yet I'm getting six.

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 9.47.13 PM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Theres no way with this CPU load that it should be taking that much of a hit. The battery should last me 6 hours if I'm skyping which I currently am. The mac book pro should get 9 hours plus of web surfing yet I'm getting six.

* Firstly...you're including information that you did not include in post #1 (the Skype cpu data).

* Second...you did not confirm the model MacBook Pro you have (retina or non-retina).

* Third...battery runtime estimates from computer manufactirers have almost always been on the generous side...and under the most favorable conditions.

* Forth...HELLO...Skype is video. Doing video things while running on the battery is a high battery demand sort of thing!

Take a look at this article (11 Tips for better battery life):

11 Tips to Get the Absolute Best Battery Life on a Mac Laptop | OSXDaily

If you notice...it says..."Avoid iSight Camera – FaceTime, Skype, Google Hangouts, and Photo Booth are a ton of fun, but the front-facing iSight/FaceTime camera is a major battery hog."

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Okay I apologize for the misinformation. However obviously Skype is hounding my CPU. But early today I was just running chrome and the previous recording of battery life was what I was getting. I just don't see how 9 hours translates to 6 as soon as you start web surfing with three tabs max no video streaming.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay I apologize for the misinformation.

Still didn't verify your MacBook Pro's model.;)

However obviously Skype is hounding my CPU.

Yes...65% cpu for Skype (if you are not doing a video call) does seem high. So for now...quit Skype if you're not using it.:)

But early today I was just running chrome and the previous recording of battery life was what I was getting. I just don't see how 9 hours translates to 6 as soon as you start web surfing with three tabs max no video streaming.

Did you read the article I linked above? Battery life on a laptop/notebook computer is not just about the number of apps open...it's also about the settings.

And since this is the 2nd NEW computer you are having touble with due to a "bad battery"...what was the "bad battery" issue with the first computer?

You do realize that statistically...getting two brand new MacBook Pro's with a "bad battery" is very very rare. And if something like this is very very rare...then the more likely possibility is...nothing is wrong with the battery.

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
It is a retina Model and I do have the backlit keyboard turned off and the brightness very low. The first one did the same thing. I would be at 65% and I would be getting 3 hours of battery.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is a retina Model and I do have the backlit keyboard turned off and the brightness very low.

Ok...thanks for verifying the model.:)

The first one did the same thing. I would be at 65% and I would be getting 3 hours of battery.

My gutt feeling is nothing is wrong (especially since we are talking two computers).

Sometimes there are misunderstandings between what a computer manufacturer claims for battery life (total runtime on a single charge)...and actual total runtime under real-life conditions. We all use our computers differently.

I guess that theoretically it is possible that two NEW computers could both have a battery problem (very rare occurrence). But what happens if you return the 2nd computer...get a 3rd computer...and have the same "problem"??

I'm thinking it's not the computers!;)lol

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Found that the problem was in fact Chrome. While running Safari at 86% I get 9 hours of battery. I guess I will have to transition to Safari. Not a HUGE deal but still kind of disappointed. Regardless I intend on using this beautiful machine to create some very high quality video editing. Thanks for the help! :Smirk:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.