Strange Wifi Connection issues

Reaction score
Purchased a barely used mac from my step mom, came with all the updates and fixings.
Had no issues connecting to wifi for the first month, then i moved and my roommates had a shared "xfinitywifi" account that we would all connect to. This worked, but it worked slowly.
Usually what would happen is the in browser prompt to connect to an account would pop up id put in the information and call it a day. A few days ago however, this prompt stopped generating, and I couldnt connect. We tried on another mac and it wouldn't connect either. Later we found out that we had a router in the house, made a wifi channel, and could connect with a password, but We could only connect to facebook, and the login page of netflix (but no other pages on netflix) all other pages came up server unavailable.
Now i am living with my parents for the month, and am experiencing the same issues, the guest wifi channel wont prompt for a password in browser, and when I type in the password for the actual wifi channel (non guest) i get the wifi exclamation point symbol and no internet connection.
Any ideas or experience with this issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Purchased a barely used mac from my step mom, came with all the updates and fixings.
Now i am living with my parents for the month, and am experiencing the same issues, the guest wifi channel wont prompt for a password in browser, and when I type in the password for the actual wifi channel (non guest) i get the wifi exclamation point symbol and no internet connection.

First, welcome to the forum! :)

Second, you've put together just too many places and connection situations, so let's try to clarify your current issue(s) w/ the last part of your post above?

You need to provide us w/ a LOT more information: 1) What Mac (model/year) do you own; 2) What OS X is installed; 3) What ISP & router are you trying to connect to in your parent's home; and 4) What have you done to correct the problem?

Just for starters, power recycle your parent's modem/router (not sure if separate or in one unit) and your computer (i.e. turn off the power and reboot the computer) - provide the needed information and let us know if the suggestions helped. Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.