Ads blocking access to website

Reaction score
I open a website and click on any link. I see three or four other links quickly appear in the address tab (adtracker, blix something, Mackeeper are a few) and immediately disappear. Instead of the link I wanted opening, usually a video HD system download or such like opens. When I close this tab, the website I was originally in freezes. Something blocks it halfway through reload. Even if I close the browser, the website I wanted will not reload. This is now a continual problem. I have cleaned the registry, tightened security etc. It still happens. Any suggestions?

thanks, jagofam

Reaction score
Cleaned the registry? Are you on Windows?

OP
M
Reaction score
same problem

Yep, cleaned registry, cleaned cache, tried ClamXav and Eset, disabled extensions and plug-ins. Problem still there. Also now getting double underline throughout odd words in websites. If the cursor is placed over these double underlines it opens up another link to an adsite.

Cheers

jagofam

M

MacInWin

I'm with Craig, in the land of the confused. OSX does NOT HAVE a registry. So when you say you "cleaned registry" what did you do?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Jake

I should have stuck to a PC. I used "Clean My Mac" so assumed it cleaned a registry. Anyway between that and ESET and the help from other bloggers, the problem seems to have gone away.

Many thanks though and thanks to all the others who helped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thanks Jake

I should have stuck to a PC. I used "Clean My Mac" so assumed it cleaned a registry. Anyway between that and ESET and the help from other bloggers, the problem seems to have gone away.

Many thanks though and thanks to all the others who helped.

Thats your problem. Get rid of Clean My Mac, uninstall it, download Oynx for your OS and run everything under Maintenance. CMM is as bad as MacKeeper, and thats like putting the H-Bomb under your machine.

Its bad news.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Dear oh dear CleanMyMac, Mackeeper etc rise to the top again!

Crapware.

Reaction score
Beginning to wonder if we got griefers again from the win sites. 'Bout that time again, no?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.