Yosemite and older Macs

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea which older Macs will be capable of running Yosemite?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
First, you might want to provide your own information, i.e. Apple computer (model/year), OS X now installed, RAM amount, and 'free' hard disk space left on your machine - might help others to better respond.

Second, there is plenty already available on the web, e.g. checkout this Yosemite Minimum Requirements - Dave :)

C

chas_m

Pretty sure Apple does. :)

But seriously, any Mac capable of running Mavericks is also capable of running Yosemite.

Here's the full list: http://www.everymac.com/mac-answers...icks-compatible-macs-system-requirements.html

As someone who had been testing Yosemite for some time, I would add to this list that you really should be running eight gigs of RAM or better. Those machines that are limited to less than 8GB of RAM are going to have an inferior experience than those that can run 8GB or more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 5,1 - 2 x 3.46GHz, 128GB; MacPro 1,1 - 2 x 3GHz DC, 32GB; PowerMac 7,3 - 2 x 2GHz PPC, 8GB
Pretty sure Apple does. :)

But seriously, any Mac capable of running Mavericks is also capable of running Yosemite.

Here's the full list: OS X Mavericks and Yosemite Compatible Macs and System Requirements @ EveryMac.com

As someone who had been testing Yosemite for some time, I would add to this list that you really should be running eight gigs of RAM or better. Those machines that are limited to less than 8GB of RAM are going to have an inferior experience than those that can run 8GB or more.

Could not agree more on the memory.

My experience with a lot of iMacs and a few MacBooks with varying processor configs has been <8GB machines are poor performers. 8GB, preferably 16GB and the experience is very different with Mountain Lion/Mavericks.

The iMac I sit in front of every day (2010 iMac w/32GB) actually runs Yosemite beta very nicely. Much better than Mavericks. Probably not fair to compare at this stage, but faster boot time and I'm up and running much more quickly. Mavericks seems very delayed in getting everything going in my config.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.