New iMac running slow, noisy, and purple screen?

Reaction score
As I just started up my iMac, I was cleaning the keyboard, and noticed the iMac was making noises, and showing a series of letters in the top right corner of the screen. It is now running much slower, making a hum noise, and there's a purple hue to the screen. I feel I must have changed the settings or something.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated! :)
It's a 5 month old iMac, OS x, Version 10.9.5.
Many thanks,
Richard

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sounds like some weird stuff going on. With such a new computer (5 months old & clearly still covered under Applecare)...I would just take it to an Apple Store & have them look at it. Or if you are not near an Apple Store...have it shipped to Apple for exam.

I know that this is a "pain in the neck". But a symptom like "noisy"...is not something software or OS related (which we might be able to help with). To me..."noisy" is something mechanical (not normally supposed to be there).

Unless by "noisy" you mean that the iMac's fan is running at a high rpm. Which could be normal depending on what the iMac is asked to do.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I feel I must have changed the settings or something.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated! :)

I think that I may have missed this the first time around. Try doing an NVRAM/PRAM reset:

OS X Mavericks: Reset your computer

If this doesn't help...and if the problem was a result of cleaning the keyboard keys...it's pretty hard to guess which keys were pressed & in what combination.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks...

Many thanks for the reply and suggestion.
I tried the Reset, but there's no difference.
In fact, a slight difference... before I did the Reset, when I started up the Mac, at first there was a white/gray screen... then after a few seconds it turned to the light purple, then the desktop came up.
After the Reset, on start up, it opened directly with the purple screen.

Before taking it back to the Apple Store (although I bought it from Best Buy, so I'll have to check where to return it)... one other question: is there such a thing as a System Restore, like on PC's... where you can get the computer to just go back to the settings from a previous time? Or maybe that's what we just tried with the Restore...
Many thanks,
Richard

M

MacInWin

No, just take it back to Best Buy. You got a dud.

There is no equivalent to System Restore, or any need for one. OSX isn't Windows.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's your choice who you return it to (Best Buy or Apple). Since it's been 5 months…the Applecare warranty is what you are falling back on. And this basically means troubleshooting and repair.

I & others have had some scary repair stories from Best Buy (they just aren't Apple experts). Unless the nearest Apple Store is hours away…I would recommend taking it to Apple. And even if the Apple Store is hours away…you can always ship the computer to Apple for repair.

It's possible there may be an easy quick fix that they know (and Best Buy doesn't). Or…if it needs repairing…I can almost guarantee that Apple will get the computer back to you much faster than Best Buy.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Take it back to Apple today.

Reaction score
I & others have had some scary repair stories from Best Buy (they just aren't Apple experts). Unless the nearest Apple Store is hours away…I would recommend taking it to Apple.

Yes, what Pigoo said. I wouldn't let Best Buy touch your Mac. Not if you like it.

In addition, Apple's brick and mortar stores have proprietary diagnostic software that they will use to diagnose your Mac in seconds, probably right in front of you.

My suspicion is that you have a problem with failing hardware, possibly bad RAM. Your Mac is under warranty. Just take it to Apple and let them deal with it. If an Apple store is too far away, call AppleCare and they will take care of everything.
In the U.S. call: 1-800-275-2273

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you!

Thank you for the great advice, guys!
I'm busy backing up all documents, photos to Dropbox etc... (it's slow so it's taking time)... then I'll take it to the local Apple store, fortunately not too far away.
When they tell me what was wrong, I'll post back here.
Cheers,
Richard

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
R
Reaction score
An update... I took the iMac into my local Apple store, and it's all fixed now :)
They replaced the Display Panel, and the Logic Board.
Thankfully covered under the warranty, as it would have cost $1036.

They tried troubleshooting it over the phone, with a safe reboot etc, but clearly it was more of a problem.
Still no idea whether the problems were connected to me pressing the random keys on start-up when I was cleaning the keyboard.
Excellent customer service all round from Apple... I'll most definitely be taking out the 2 year extended warranty before this current one year warranty expires!
And excellent help from you guys on this great forum; thank you very much :)
Cheers,
Richard

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Replacing the display panel and logic board is almost like replacing the entire machine which I'm surprised they didn't do. Anyway, I'm glad you're satisfied with the result. I suspect they couldn't determine whether the problem was with the display or the graphics processor (which is soldered to the logic board) so they just changed both out.

Make sure you definitely buy Apple Care! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Second that AppleCare recommendation.

For what it is worth, I only have Resellers within 300-400 miles of me and they always go the repair route under warranty rather than replacement with previous claims. If one wants Apple to handle it got to pack whatever it is into its original box, arrange a courier which is not easy to do these days in a rural area, and as for insurance when in the courier's hands - forget it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.