Ultra-wide monitor - AOC Q2963

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro model MacBookPro9,1, OS X 10.8.5 with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB video card.

I connected an AOC Q2963PM ultra-wide monitor (2560 x 1080) and the display is either stretched in 21:9 ration mode or I have to alter the display to a 16:9 ratio and have black stripes on the sides.

I have seen other people talk about modifying the EDID (which I'm not comfortable with) and changing cables for multiple monitors (which I don't have).

I have connected to the Mini Display Port using MDP to HDMI or MDP to DVI with the same results.

I'm not used to connecting things to a Mac and having them not work.

Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure there's anything you can do about it. The only driver available for that monitor is for Windows, nothing for the Mac that I could find. Ultra wide monitors are great for gaming and especially if you use them with Windows which supports those high aspect ratios.

You may have to resort to a non standard procedure in order to get the monitor to work normally with your MBP. Perhaps someone else will respond with an idea.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you have mirrored mode turned on, it is going to be stretched no matter what connection you use.

DVI is not capable of 2560 x 1080. You would need "dual link DVI" (a $100 adapter) to obtain that resolution.

The HDMI cable/adapter you are using also may not be capable of passing that high a resolution. You're going to need a minimum HDMI 1.4 compatible to get there.

I would personally forego either of those options and use MDP to DP with that monitor. (Use DP 1.2)

However, if your HDMI cable/adapter is providing the correct native resolution for the monitor, make sure mirroring is turned off.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies.

For bobtomay:

I am not using mirrored mode.

I'm assuming that you are referring to a type of cable in your statement: "I would personally forego either of those options and use MDP to DP with that monitor. (Use DP 1.2)" What is an MDP to DP cable? I'm not familiar with that acronym (DP).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
DP 1.2 = Display Port 1.2 Take a look at the full definition and some examples in the Wikipedia.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.