transferring photos - iPhone to Mac Mini

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just got my very first smart phone, an iPhone 5C. It was a free upgrade to my Verizon account.

I now find myself taking lots of photos with the 5C and I want to transfer those photos to my desktop Mac Mini running OSX 10.9.4. I'm not that familiar with the iPhoto app, but I presume I'll have to use it some how to do this transfer.

Can anyone explain to me the best way to get all my photos off my iPhone and onto my Mac Mini?

Thanks,

Kevin H.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just attach my 5c to my Mac via the USB lightning connector and iPhoto opens and transfers the photos to its library. If your new iPhone is using iOS 7.X you should be able to transfer the photos over WiFi. With iOS 8 you'll need to wait for Yosemite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You don't have to use iPhoto, you can use a built-in application called Image Capture too

C

chas_m

Or you can use iCloud. This will automatically transfer all pictures taken by your phone to your Mac as soon as the two devices are on the same Wi-Fi network. Apple calls this Photo Stream.

OP
K
Reaction score
I just attach my 5c to my Mac via the USB lightning connector and iPhoto opens and transfers the photos to its library. If your new iPhone is using iOS 7.X you should be able to transfer the photos over WiFi. With iOS 8 you'll need to wait for Yosemite.

If I use this method, do you know where iPhoto stores photos on disk? I'd like to be able to use Photoshop to edit/process the photos, but I can't find them on my Mac Mini's disk.

Thanks again,

Kevin

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The photos will be stored in the iPhoto library if you use iPhoto as stated in my reply. See below:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Pictures/iPhoto Library/

OP
K
Reaction score
The photos will be stored in the iPhoto library if you use iPhoto as stated in my reply. See below:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Pictures/iPhoto Library/

Thanks, this put me in the right area. Once in iPhoto Library in Finder, I right click on iPhoto Library and select Show Package Contents. This leads to a display of the various directories under iPhoto Library. I looked them all over and the directory named Masters leads to various numbered directories at the end of which are all your image files in jpeg format. Success!

Thanks, chscag, for the helpful replies and to others who replied as well.

Kevin H.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Can I suggest, that although you've found images there you don't edit from there. It'll mess things up in iPhoto.

If you're going to edit and insist on using iPhoto launch photoshop from within iPhoto.

OP
K
Reaction score
Can I suggest, that although you've found images there you don't edit from there. It'll mess things up in iPhoto.

If you're going to edit and insist on using iPhoto launch photoshop from within iPhoto.

Didn't know I could do that! Like I said, I'm new to iPhoto so I'm still learning all the little tricks. Thanks for pointing me towards this.

Kevin H.

C

chas_m

I **STRONGLY** second MrPlow's sound advice. DO NOT mess with iPhoto's library structure!!

The iPhoto program allows you to use any external photo editor you want to fix up your pictures and then automatically returns the results to iPhoto. You can set this in iPhoto's preferences and just name Photoshop as your preferred external editor.

OP
K
Reaction score
I **STRONGLY** second MrPlow's sound advice. DO NOT mess with iPhoto's library structure!!

The iPhoto program allows you to use any external photo editor you want to fix up your pictures and then automatically returns the results to iPhoto. You can set this in iPhoto's preferences and just name Photoshop as your preferred external editor.

Got it! I tried launching Photoshop from within iPhoto and it worked. This solves my problem so I'm good to go.

Thanks everyone.

Kevin H.

Reaction score
You can use some tool to help copy and transfer iphone data to mac or windows.There are two ways for you to save data from your iPhone, if you use Coolmuster iPad iPhone iPod to PC Transfer, which fully allows you to save data on your iphone 6,iphone 6 plus iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS to mac/windows.
How can I transfer iphone photos /pictures to mac

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.