USB Power output on Powerbook G4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
Does anyone know what the power output from the USBs on PB G4 Alumnium 15" or other models are? As I have had a lot of power problems with portable hard drives> Does the the PB G4 have a powered USB?

Reaction score
randomfactor said:
Does anyone know what the power output from the USBs on PB G4 Alumnium 15" or other models are? As I have had a lot of power problems with portable hard drives> Does the the PB G4 have a powered USB?

No more than 500ma per port. You can use a special "Y" cable to pull 1 amp total by using power from both ports. If your external drive is a larger capacity drive, then most likley it wants more than 500ma in which case you will need an external PS. The idea situation is to have a FW external. That interface is not limited to 500ma. Not sure what it's max power draw is but, it runs my external 7200/60gb just fine.

ed724

OP
randomfactor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
yeah Ive notice that firewire drives have no problem with power but the USB 2.0 drive was given to me so what can I do. Its a shame Apple doesnt use more firewire especially the Firewire 800.

Cheers ed724

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.