Apple TV & Airport Express connectivity...

Reaction score
Here's my setup:

- I have a 3rd party Wireless Modem/Router combo.
- I just bought a new Airport Time Capsule.

It was my understanding that it is a crapshoot on getting the Airport TC to wirelessly extend the current WiFi network the modem/router has. So I ran a ethernet cable to the ATC and created a new network.

- In a workshop across the yard from my house I have a (latest version) Airport Express. It is setup to extend the network the ATC created. Works great.

- In the workshop I also have a (latest version) AppleTV plugged into a flatscreen (via HDMI). The AppleTV can easily pick up the wireless network created by the ATC/AX tandem.

Im wondering if I would speed things up if I were to plug the AppleTV to the AX via ethernet cable. Or should I just leave things as be, wirelessly connected?

For all I know, I got it wrong and going from AX to AppleTV isnt even possible or wont speed up the network in any way.

Thanks

Reaction score
Stream something on your Apple TV to see.

I have mine set up similar and it works fine. If i can hook it up via hard wire i always do but if it isn't possible what your doing will work.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
Stream something on your Apple TV to see.

I have mine set up similar and it works fine. If i can hook it up via hard wire i always do but if it isn't possible what your doing will work.

Is it as simple as me plugging in the ethernet cable from the AX to the AppleTV?

There arent any setting I need to adjust are there? It should automatically work?

Reaction score
Yeah should work. would be super simple to test with a cable. Like i said if you stream with your Apple Tv just fine no reason to mess with it though. When i said if i can hard wire i usually do i meant if you were next to the original router. not the express. either way should work though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.