**iOS 8.0.1 Warning**

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
OK everyone, I would wait on iOS 8.0.1 for now. The update is killing cellular, and touch id functionality for users. There are many posts out there from users with iPhone 6 and 6+ devices that this is affecting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2011, i7, 8gigs RAM, OS 10.11 iPhone 6s, ATV3
OK everyone, I would wait on iOS 8.0.1 for now. The update is killing cellular, and touch id functionality for users. There are many posts out there from users with iPhone 6 and 6+ devices that this is affecting.

I tried and kept getting "iOS 8.0 1 failed verification because you are no longer connected to the internet"..

I guess it has been pulled now for the issues you have mentioned, and that is why it is giving that error.

OP
JohnCL
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I have never in all these years been "had" by Apple until today. I have successfully restore to iOS 8 and all is well. We shall see what comes next. I will not be so quick to jump next time. I had no reason to be leery today as I've never had a software issue with Apple in the past.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My strategy has always been to wait a while before installing updates…even one as small as iOS 8.0.1 (a puny update).

Generally speaking…Apple has been pretty good with stable OS update releases…so my conservative strategy has probably not been necessary for everyone.

On the positive side (if there is one)…it seems to only effect iPhone 6 users. Not so great since it's a new product…but then better then affecting all iPhones capable of running iOS 8.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well I am sure someone at Apple is having a bad day. Oops! As for a bad update....I can't count the ones I have had from Microsoft over the years. One recent example caused Adobe Premiere Pro to not launch. I had to track down which update was the problem then uninstall it. Once I did everything was fine. When I researched what the update did I found it was supposed to correct some minor issue with memory addressing but they listed that there was at least two known issues at that time with the update.

This caused me to loose several hours of productive time. So when I compare Apple's infrequent updates to Microsofts only on Tuesdays ...oh and maybe Thursday updates .... no comparison. Apple, on the whole, does a much better job. IMO.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I have been on the road all day and when I got back a couple of hours ago I read about the snafu with 8.0.1. I haven't been connected to wifi all day and that probably saved me. If I had seen it I would have probably went ahead and installed it.

Lisa, it got to where I started despising "Patch Tuesday" every month. Since I live in the sticks I have to use satellite for my internet and those updates took a good chunk of my allotted bandwidth. The final straw was MS not releasing SP2 for Win7 (heck, even Vista got SP2) which makes a clean install a very tedious job. I think they did this to force people to update to the horrible Win 8.

Life is so much simpler now since I switched to Mac :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... it got to where I started despising "Patch Tuesday" every month. Since I live in the sticks I have to use satellite for my internet and those updates took a good chunk of my allotted bandwidth. The final straw was MS not releasing SP2 for Win7 (heck, even Vista got SP2) which makes a clean install a very tedious job. I think they did this to force people to update to the horrible Win 8.

Life is so much simpler now since I switched to Mac :)

I totally understand. I dread "Patch Tuesday." I have an office full of Windows 7 computers. I will say we have a long term plan that includes new computers that will be Macs. ;)

I use to have satellite at home too. I would have to schedule large downloads between 3am to 6am. Finally got DSL which was actually a huge improvement.

I just get upset over the fact that Microsoft makes us pay big bucks for OS upgrades that require frequent patches. While Apple supplies OS upgrades with very few patches at little to no cost. So if they issue a bad patch one in a blue moon, I do not find it to be that unforgivable.

And lets not forget Apple tends to deal with issues fast. I have had Microsoft patches that were bad and they either took months to fix or just told you to uninstall it. My favorite was when I had to remove memory from my desktop editor because it caused my usb ports to quit functioning. They acknowledged the problem but it took almost a year before they issued a patch to fixed that.

So I can wait for a revised 8.0.1 update. Just glad I did not download the original.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
After I posted I read that it only afffected iPhone 6 and I have a 5s so even if I had downloaded it there wouldn't have been a problem.

I would love to have DSL but the only way I could get it is to get a patch cable 12 miles long and run it back into town, lol. But I like my peace and solitude better so I just have to put up with the satellite for now. I had some hope when I read about BPL (Broadband over Power Lines) a couple of years ago but it must have fizzled as I haven't heard anything else about it.

OP
JohnCL
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Well, 8.0.2 just released. Who's ready? ;) I'll dive in to this in about an hour.

Reaction score
Still on 7 on 5S. Gonna wait at least a month for things to get ironed out.

Reaction score
My strategy has always been to wait a while before installing updates…even one as small as iOS 8.0.1 (a puny update).

- Nick

Ive been of the same mindset as well. I figure it's always saved me some grief.

We buy Apple stuff because it's just "supposed to work". And when it doesnt, our high expectations make it that much more frustrating.

So I wait, and Im never let down.

I never had an issue or ever waited for any Android updates. They were flawless in my experience. And Microsoft? Or lord, I'll never go back to that joke of a brand.

I got a iPhone 5S, my girl has one, and we have a iPad 3. We're just going to sit this one out and maybe in a couple weeks finally update to iOS 8. I dont see the rush, my phone worked perfectly beforehand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would love to have DSL but the only way I could get it is to get a patch cable 12 miles long and run it back into town, lol. But I like my peace and solitude better so I just have to put up with the satellite for now. I had some hope when I read about BPL (Broadband over Power Lines) a couple of years ago but it must have fizzled as I haven't heard anything else about it.

I live in what I call "God's country", "the sticks", and "so far back they have to pipe sunlight in" - and I love it. ;) I am sitting here with the windows open and listening to the crickets right now.

I am at the very end of the DSL line. There is a 3 mile limit from the access building - what ever that is. I have a whopping 1.7 Mbps Up and 768 Kbps down - some days and others not even that. But it is $60 less per month and not throttled (if it was reverse would be faster.) I heard about the broadband over power lines but figured with the less than reliable power we have here it was a non-starter.

Anyway, glad they have put out an 8.0.2 update. They tend to work a lot faster fixing problems than Microsoft does.

Lisa

OP
JohnCL
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
8.0.2 installed on iPhone 6 Verizon and all is well. No issues found yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I heard about the broadband over power lines but figured with the less than reliable power we have here it was a non-starter.

Anyway, glad they have put out an 8.0.2 update. They tend to work a lot faster fixing problems than Microsoft does.

Lisa

The last I heard they were field testing BPL in South Carolina I believe it was but ham radio operators were complaining it messed up the reception of their radios.

I think I am fixing (yes I am a Southerner :) ) to take the plunge with 8.0.2. I wonder if it also fixes the other problems I have heard about like excessive battery drainage, erratic wifi, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
This is a list of fixes by 8.0.2 :
• Addresses bugs with call forwarding and freezing when accessing visual voicemail
• Fixes an issue with keypad not appearing to enter iCloud Keychain verification codes
• Fixes a problem with videos occasionally not playing in Safari
• Fixes AirDrop support for Passbook passes
• Addresses an issue with installing VPN profiles
• Fixes a bug so HealthKit apps can now be made available on the App Store
• Addresses an issue where 3rd party keyboards could become deselected when a user enters their passcode
• Fixes an issue that prevented some apps from accessing photos from the Photo Library
• Fixes an issue that could cause unexpected cellular data usage when receiving SMS/MMS messages
• Better support of Ask To Buy for Family Sharing for In-App Purchases
• Fixes an issue where ringtones were sometimes not restored from iCloud backups
• Fixes a bug that prevented uploading photos and videos from Safari
• Fixes a bug so HealthKit apps can now be made available on the App Store
• Improves the reliability of the Reachability feature on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus

(from MacDailyNews)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's quite a list. Some of it only applies to the 6 and 6 + though. But most also apply to the other model iPhones that have the ability to run iOS 8. I just tried to update mine from iTunes and it gave me a server time out. I then updated on WiFi in 90 seconds. Go figure!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I didn't notice it until now but they have the Healthkit fix listed twice. I just finished updating mine and nothing out the ordinary so far. It was a 79MB download.

When I went to update 7.x to 8.x it told me that I had to use wifi to update and wouldn't let me use the cellular network. I was at work at the time so I used the company's wifi and saved me some bandwidth. So I did the wifi this time as well.

Reaction score
My fiance just downloaded 8.0.1 to her 5s and lost texting. Any fix? Will 8.0.2 repair the damage?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.