2nd monitor for mini mac thru USB?

Reaction score
all ports are being used on my mini mac, how can i add a 2nd monitor using usb?

Reaction score
You can't.

You could however buy a thunderbolt expansion bay and another PCI graphics card. But likely won't be worth the money.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Mac-Mini's have been around since 2005…and there have been approximately 27 different models over the years.

It would really help us to know what exact model Mac-Mini you have…and what OS version it is running.

Thanks,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
FYI. It is not necessary to double post. One thread is enough.

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Like Pigoo3 mentioned, really need to know the model.

I will go out on a limb here and point out the current (late 2012) model will support two monitors. One via HDMI and the other via the Display Port. I will say I do not recommend using adapter/ gender changers for your cables. What I have and use is a HDMI to DVI cable and a Display Port (thunderbolt) to DVI cable for my two Samsung LED displays.

USB will not work to display. Not sure if the Thunderbolt/Display port in the 2012 Mac Mini actually will let you pipe your video and data over the same cable, for example running it to a thunderbolt storage and then to your display. I may be incorrect here, but I believe I did read something about it being a poor implementation of thunderbolt. The newer devices from 2013 and onwards should not have this problem. But like I said, I may be wrong on this and you very weal may be able to use both over that port on the 2012 model..

Just like to point out I use two WD MyBook USB3.0 drives and they clock in at 130MB/s, which is almost 35MB/s faster then the 1TB internal factory drive that came in the system. Just incase your considering other storage solutions.

Hoep this helps..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.