constantly disconnecting & reconnecting external hard drive

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a Mid-2009 MacBook Pro that has worked flawlessly for years. I installed an Intel SSD in 2011. Everything still runs great.

Problem is: I only have 160GB of total storage, so about 1 month ago I bought an external USB enclosure for a 320GB drive I had lying around.

Since I take my laptop with me to work every day, I have to disconnect the external drive every morning and reconnect it every evening. Now I'm having problems with the drive, not getting all my files and not being able to repair the volume. I did some research and found that repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting a hard drive is bad for it.

My question is this: what should I do about external storage for this computer? Should I buy an external drive with AC adapter so it never stops spinning? Or is the problem the constant un-mounting from the computer and not the actual loss of power?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Since I take my laptop with me to work every day, I have to disconnect the external drive every morning and reconnect it every evening.

When you disconnect the external HD every morning...are you properly disconnecting it? To properly disconnect...you need to "eject" the external HD from the computer. Such as first dragging the external HD's icon to the trash.

File corruption can occur if this is not done first (just yanking the external HD's data cable out of the computers USB port). And the more times this is done...the more likely data/file corruption can happen.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
No I have not been properly disconnecting it. Yes, I am feeling quite embarrassed right now. I can't tell you for how long I've been just yanking my USB flash drive out of the port with no issues. Sometimes OS X is just so **** slow about it and I have places to go and people to see, so I just yank it and then, when the warning comes up I mutter "yeah, shut the f*** up" under my breath.

Anyway, I won't be doing this anymore (yanking it out, not swearing at OS X). Thanks for your help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No I have not been properly disconnecting it. Yes, I am feeling quite embarrassed right now. I can't tell you for how long I've been just yanking my USB flash drive out of the port with no issues.

Hey...we're all in a hurry...and this "yanking out" is done by lots of folks.;)

The data/file issues don't always happen everytime...so if folks don't always experience issues...it probably makes the habit of yanking-out not a concern. But I think that if this is done enough...statistically...things catch up with us.;)

If I'm understanding your situation correctly (plug the external HD in at night, unplug in the morning). Maybe if you disconnect the HD at night (after dragging the icon to the trash)...then sleep or shutdown the computer for the night. Then you can just "grab & go" in the morning.:)

Hopefully this solves the problem.:)

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm concerned about the missing files and obvious corruption that you have said you cannot repair. I assume you have run Disc Utility > Verify Disc and found it unrepairable.
That does not mean it is unusable but it does mean you will have to erase and reformat it.
Assuming you can get your data off it temporarily you can try doing that. If all is well after verifying the HD again you can resume using it.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.