Ahhhh please someone help with my os x install

Reaction score
Ok family friend brought me a mac pro 1.1 with 8 gig's of ram stock 350 gig hard drive with nvidia 7300gt it gets to the apple logo via booting from the cd drive but half way through loading it goes to the please restart your computer gray screen of death it passes all hardware diagnostics i reset the pram and removed the hard drives and tried to boot that way no cigar as it where.

Whats weird is this machine has its stock os disks mac os x tiger and even mac os x leopard all real disks all confirmed working on another mac pro 1.1 in the shop so I'm not losing my marbles i just can't figure out why it crashes

i replaced the graphics card even and no boot still

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Sounds like you are doing all the right things so are you sure the superdrive is working?
It's the only other thing I can think of. Try running the instal DVD from an external CD drive.
Oh and are these discs retail versions or original instal discs (that came with the unit).

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok family friend brought me a mac pro 1.1 with 8 gig's of ram stock 350 gig hard drive with nvidia 7300gt it gets to the apple logo via booting from the cd drive but half way through loading it goes to the please restart your computer gray screen of death it passes all hardware diagnostics i reset the pram and removed the hard drives and tried to boot that way no cigar as it where.

I would pull all the ram...then reinstall only the min. amount of ram. Then test all the ram this way (remove & install) to see if maybe some of the ram is bad.

- Nick

p.s. Congrats on getting a Mac Pro! Hopefully we can get it operating for you!:)

OP
J
Reaction score
got it found out why its really stupid..

you got to here this one.

It would seem when apple released the nvidia gt 8800 series upgrade card for the mac pro 1.1 they eliminated the original restore disks for the mac pro 1.1 because the gt 8800 won't run tiger because there are no tiger drivers for the card at all and even better you need a mac os x leopard 10.5.4 or higher in order to boot the machine due to the leopard graphics compatibility update so basically anything below 10.5.4 won't run because there are no drivers.

This honestly proves my point that just because you can upgrade doesn't mean you should.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
got it found out why its really stupid..

you got to here this one.

It would seem when apple released the nvidia gt 8800 series upgrade card for the mac pro 1.1 they eliminated the original restore disks for the mac pro 1.1 because the gt 8800 won't run tiger because there are no tiger drivers for the card at all and even better you need a mac os x leopard 10.5.4 or higher in order to boot the machine due to the leopard graphics compatibility update so basically anything below 10.5.4 won't run because there are no drivers.

Congrats on finding the problem...and thanks letting us know what was up!:) You never know...someone in the future may run into the same problem...and find this thread!:)

Honestly...you don't want to run Tiger or Leopard on it anyway (unless you have a special purpose). Start by getting yourself a Snow Leopard (10.6) install disk ($19.99 US)...update to 10.6.8...then decide if you want to go all the way to 10.7.5 (max. OS for this computer).

If you had started with a 10.6 disk...you would have had no headaches!!! Just teasing!;) But then we wouldn't have learned anything either!;)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
true that i was setting it up with 10.5 and 10.6 and 10.7 and 10.9 via sixty four on thirty two so i could run older and newer apps like for instant alien vs predator 2 won't run in snow leopard but will run on leopard

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
true that i was setting it up with 10.5 and 10.6 and 10.7 and 10.9 via sixty four on thirty two so i could run older and newer apps like for instant alien vs predator 2 won't run in snow leopard but will run on leopard

Yeah...if you were thinking about going beyond 10.7.5...good luck. I know that it's a bit of a process.

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Cool, interesting info for future reference, glad you got it sorted, I did wonder about your statement about "even replaced video card" but no precedent so no ideas. Now I have one.
Cheers, Rod :)

OP
J
Reaction score
yea the graphics card is weird on this machine i must admit

and sixty four on thirty two works excellent with maverick I'm on it right now no issues i can even use iCloud

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.