Wireless connection issues?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
Just wondering about wireless connections..

My iBook G4, at times, will not connect to my AP - it's not a distance issue, it's about 10 feet away. After trying to reconnect several times, it normally connects.

So, I fired up my XP laptop and tried to replicate the issue - and I couldn't. It seems the XP machine is fine.

Am I missing something here that might be causing this to happen? Any suggestions to help remedy this issue?

Details:

AP: Cisco 871W (G)
Using WEP, 40bit key
Mac: iBook G4/1.42/Airport Extreme.

Thanks in advance.

- Peter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Test with all security off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Make sure you're not near a microwave oven, cordless phone, or other source of electronic noise. I had a cordless phone (Uniden, I think) that would whack my iBook's connection all the time.

If there's a possibility that you're getting interference by a neighbor's network, you should check into that as well with a wireless "sniffer" like iStumbler.

You should also try changing the channel on your access point.

OP
petenet
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
Thanks for the tips. In the end, I enabled 'interference robustness' on the airport card and it's been fine since. Not one drop or anything, so I am good now.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.