Bought a used MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz Macbook Pro Mid 2012 4GB
I want to update to OS Maverick, however I don't have this person's Password who originally purchased the computer. Any way around that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Password or Apple ID? Either way, the correct procedure when purchasing a used Mac is to wipe it clean, install OS X with your Apple ID and then do the updates.

You also need to tell us which model and year MacBook Pro you purchased.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Password or Apple ID? Either way, the correct procedure when purchasing a used Mac is to wipe it clean, install OS X with your Apple ID and then do the updates.

You also need to tell us which model and year MacBook Pro you purchased.

Sorry about that, I should be MUCH more specific. I currently own a MBP Mid-2012 non-retina display model. 4gb of RAM for now.

I do not know his password, just they AppleID automatically populates. I was hoping to be in luck when I seen a tax return saved on the MB but it was for someone else. I do not want to lose Excel or Word, if I was to redo everything how would that work?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you don't know the admin password, you'll need to reset it. As far as Excel and Word that's on the machine, unless the seller gave you the original MS Office disk with the product id serial number, those apps are not legally yours anyway.

Believe me, you'll be much better off in the long haul to wipe that machine and get everything legal and in your name with your Apple ID.

How to reset a password in Mavericks

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't know the admin password, you'll need to reset it. As far as Excel and Word that's on the machine, unless the seller gave you the original MS Office disk with the product id serial number, those apps are not legally yours anyway.

Believe me, you'll be much better off in the long haul to wipe that machine and get everything legal and in your name with your Apple ID.

How to reset a password in Mavericks

I know the password to the Mac, just not to update to Maverick. Would that be the admin password?

And what are the exact benefits of resetting the system? I notice that Numbers and the other applications that sub for Word are not here either..Do I have to purchase all these items?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes as they are pirated actually. Some suspect sellers advertise all this 'free software' which is on the machine illegally. Do you have an Apple ID? You will need that to download Mavericks from the Apple Store. Use the operaqting system already on the MBP to get the Apple ID if you do not have one, access the App Store and download Mavericks for free.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes as they are pirated actually. Some suspect sellers advertise all this 'free software' which is on the machine illegally. Do you have an Apple ID? You will need that to download Mavericks from the Apple Store. Use the operaqting system already on the MBP to get the Apple ID if you do not have one, access the App Store and download Mavericks for free.

I have an Apple ID, however it refuses to let me download maverick with it. I'm assuming because that's not the original apple ID that it was set up with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You have an Apple ID. Go into Recovery, erase and format the hard drive, and then download another version of Mavericks.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 13, iPhone SE 2, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I am disgusted and very annoyed at the stupid, inconsiderate and uniformed people who advertise/sell used Mac's with installed software as if it's a selling point and established iTunes accounts associated with their device as if they are transferrable. The bad news is they are not. How to prepare a Mac device for resale information is readily available on the internet and anyone who ignores it is just creating problems for the buyer. Please see this article; What to do before selling or giving away your Mac
If these steps are not observed your only option is to erase and reinstall the operating system. HOWEVER this does not override the Apple device association rule. To do this you will need to contact the seller and ask that they either give you their Apple ID and password so that you can disassociate it from their iTunes account or ask them to do so, either way it will take 90 days before it can be associated with a new account because this is a machine specific restriction.
I am very sorry that you have to tackle this but it is a common issue caused largely by ignorance and laziness.
Please don't hesitate to contact this forum for additional information as required. Good luck, Rod.:Angry:

C

chas_m

I recently bought the same model MacBook. I can offer nothing to solve the OP's original problem other than what's already been posted -- lose the pirated software, start over under your own account.

HOWEVER, I do have one important piece of advice for you, Jacoballen22. GET MORE RAM. The 4GB just doesn't cut it for Mavericks and (soon) Yosemite. I went for the max and got 16GB of RAM for this machine and HOLY MADRE DE DIOS did that make a difference. But even 10GB (replacing one of the two 2GB sticks you have with an 8GB stick) would be hugely significant and make that machine mega zippy! DO EET!! :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am disgusted and very annoyed at the stupid, inconsiderate and uniformed people who advertise/sell used Mac's with installed software as if it's a selling point and established iTunes accounts associated with their device as if they are transferrable. The bad news is they are not. How to prepare a Mac device for resale information is readily available on the internet and anyone who ignores it is just creating problems for the buyer. Please see this article; What to do before selling or giving away your Mac
If these steps are not observed your only option is to erase and reinstall the operating system. HOWEVER this does not override the Apple device association rule. To do this you will need to contact the seller and ask that they either give you their Apple ID and password so that you can disassociate it from their iTunes account or ask them to do so, either way it will take 90 days before it can be associated with a new account because this is a machine specific restriction.
I am very sorry that you have to tackle this but it is a common issue caused largely by ignorance and laziness.
Please don't hesitate to contact this forum for additional information as required. Good luck, Rod.:Angry:

I bought it from a my Dad's pawn shop and I have no idea how to get in contact with the guy other than by his e-mail (which he won't reply to) and apparently you are right, I couldn't even download that stupid U2 album because I was not authorized to do so. Even though I can access many things through this MBP, I cannot do everything thanks to it being owned by someone else and not being wiped clean. :Angry-Tongue::Angry-Tongue:

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I recently bought the same model MacBook. I can offer nothing to solve the OP's original problem other than what's already been posted -- lose the pirated software, start over under your own account.

HOWEVER, I do have one important piece of advice for you, Jacoballen22. GET MORE RAM. The 4GB just doesn't cut it for Mavericks and (soon) Yosemite. I went for the max and got 16GB of RAM for this machine and HOLY MADRE DE DIOS did that make a difference. But even 10GB (replacing one of the two 2GB sticks you have with an 8GB stick) would be hugely significant and make that machine mega zippy! DO EET!! :)

Slightly confused, I'd be replacing 2 2GB sticks with 2 8s or 2 with 4 4gb sticks?
and I would love to see that speed she the time comes, but I have to get this whole secondary ownership thing down. I can't even download on iTunes :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's only $200 to max this out? And I just watched a video about putting the RAM in, if it was any easier, a caveman could've done it.

Yes...installing ram is pretty easy...as long stuff below doesn't occur:

- stripping the screw heads when removing the bottom cover
- stripping the screw holes when the bottom cover is replaced from over-torquing
- zapping the computer with static electricity if you don't properly ground yourself first
- dropping the ram on the floor while installing...and rendering it "broke"
- dropping a screw accidentally into the computer (and not noticing)...then powering up the computer & frying it
- breaking the ram retaining tabs
- etc. etc.

All of this can & does happen...and we have the threads to prove it!;)

And if $200 to you is not much...great for your "fat wallet" $$$$!;)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes...installing ram is pretty easy...as long stuff below doesn't occur:

- stripping the screw heads when removing the bottom cover
- stripping the screw holes when the bottom cover is replaced from over-torquing
- zapping the computer with static electricity if you don't properly ground yourself first
- dropping the ram on the floor while installing...and rendering it "broke"
- dropping a screw accidentally into the computer (and not noticing)...then powering up the computer & frying it
- breaking the ram retaining tabs
- etc. etc.

All of this can & does happen...and we have the threads to prove it!;)

And if $200 to you is not much...great for your "fat wallet"!;)

- Nick

Sorry lol but just having a Mac feels like I gotta break the bank just to own it. $200 is a relief. So the $650 I spent on the used mac plus the 200 equals an $850 Mac with max ram :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry lol but just having a Mac feels like I gotta break the bank just to own it. $200 is a relief. So the $650 I spent on the used mac plus the 200 equals an $850 Mac with max ram :D

$650 was a GREAT deal!!!:) They're still selling brand new for $1099 ($929 refurbished). Congrats!:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
$650 was a GREAT deal!!!:) They're still selling brand new for $1099 ($929 refurbished). Congrats!:)

- Nick

Well, it is a 2012 without retina, but yeah I wasn't going to pay $1,300 for a newer MacBook Pro. The only sad part is trying to contact the original owner through Facebook and email and not receiving a response so that I can reset the whole thing and be able to purchase using my own iTunes and whatnot.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it is a 2012 without retina...

Yes I know.;) It will probably be discontinued soon. It's very unusual for Apple to have an older model like this around so long. Kept around for the non-retina buyers...and folks who still want/wanted a cd/dvd drive.:)

The only sad part is trying to contact the original owner through Facebook and email and not receiving a response so that I can reset the whole thing and be able to purchase using my own iTunes and whatnot.

Yes...you will have this. Buyer & seller soon part ways (permanently). Maybe the seller doesn't check their Facebook or email often (trying to be positive)!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.