Selling Mac with Updated OSx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" rMBP 2014, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 2.6GHz i5
I am thinking of selling my Mac mid 2009 model and believe it came with OS X 10.5.7 out of the box.

If I sell my Mac, do I need to restore it back to 10.5.7 or can I sell it with 10.9.4 it is currently running?

I bought the computer 2nd hand so I have no instal disks, nor can I give my buyer an install disk as I updated electronically.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Restore it and sell it with the installation discs, and suggest spending $20 and purchasing Snow Leopard OS X.6 which will add bucks to the selling price Get this from Apple Online. The problem is Mavericks, as with all downloaded operating systems, is ALWAYS the property of your Apple ID and a buyer will not be able to update etc.

OP
imfromwales
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What instillation disks? I don't have any instillation disks as it was bought second hand.

Ah ok, so restore it back to 10.5.7, rather than selling with Mavericks? How can I restore back to 10.5.7?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As susggested BUY OS X.6!

OP
imfromwales
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have no quarms in buying it, I just wasn't sure I needed to as this is my first Mac.

I am unsure on how buying OSx stays with the email account you use to buy it with, as I have never bought anything from Apple (Android guy and second hand Mac). If I buy 10.5 to sell, then that will be locked to whoever signs in with their apple account?

When I purchase my next Mac, could the version of OSx be locked to them?

What I am trying to say is, what is the best way that I can sell my Mac and buy a second hand Mac with updates of OSx available?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not a good idea to sell your Mac with the current version of OS X that it's running since that was purchased (downloaded) with your Apple ID. Harry suggested purchasing Snow Leopard since it's on a DVD disk and is only $19.99 US. If you were to buy a Leopard disk the cost would be much more - around $55 or so.

Just erase the hard drive, install Snow Leopard but don't create an account on the machine. Then sell it as is.

The best way to purchase a second hand Mac is from the Apple refurbished store. Those machines are fully warranted and usually loaded with the latest version of OS X and software.

OP
imfromwales
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your very detailed answer!

I have seen I can buy a Leopard disk for £14 from the Apple Store. If I was to purchase Snow Leopard to install, then that would be OK - It wouldn't have to be Leopard which is what originally came with it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is no reason to install Leopard (the original version that came with the machine) as Snow Leopard will suffice and it is less expensive. It makes no sense to diminish your selling price by purchasing a more expensive version of OS X to install. Besides, Snow Leopard is a later version and considerably faster than Leopard.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have seen I can buy a Leopard disk for £14 from the Apple Store. If I was to purchase Snow Leopard to install, then that would be OK - It wouldn't have to be Leopard which is what originally came with it.

Careful with the terminology.:)

"Leopard" = OS 10.5
"Snow Leopard" = OS 10.6

I'm pretty sure (I just checked) that the Apple store is no longer selling "Leopard". And if they were…it would probably cost more than £14.;)

That £14 was for Snow Leopard (OS 10.6):

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (UK)

Just trying to help.:)

- Nick

OP
imfromwales
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no reason to install Leopard (the original version that came with the machine) as Snow Leopard will suffice and it is less expensive. It makes no sense to diminish your selling price by purchasing a more expensive version of OS X to install. Besides, Snow Leopard is a later version and considerably faster than Leopard.

Thats great advice, thank you very much for your help!

Careful with the terminology.:)
I'm pretty sure (I just checked) that the Apple store is no longer selling "Leopard". And if they were…it would probably cost more than £14.;)

Sorry, you are correct. I did mean Snow Leopard, but I typed Leopard. Thanks for the correction :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.