• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Intel Macs

D

Daniel 1989 UK

The new Powerbook now known as the Macbook Pro and the iMac G5 are on intel the latest Mac to move to intel is the Mac Mini I suppose all Macs will move to intel eventually according to this the February 28th Apple event was a large letdown for those who can't be bothered to click the link heres what it says:

Apple Computer's much hyped 28th February special event at its Cupertino, Calif- HQ ended up as a letdown. Following much speculation on online forums (as with every Apple event) of products as diverse as a possible touchscreen iPod video and Macintosh tablet, the products that Apple CEO Steve Jobs released were widely regarded as disappointing.

Apple released an iPod Hi-Fi at $349, largely regarded as overpriced by the online community. An iPod leather case retailing at $99 and new Intel-based Mac Minis running on Intel Core Solo and Duo processors were released starting at $599, up from the previous PowerPC based Minis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yea comeone whats the point of this thread?
All macs will be intel by the end of 2006? If so then yea we already knew that as thats what Job's said at MacWorld in January

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I don't really see the point to this thread either but about the let down, It's your fault you feel let down because you chose to believe the rumours. I don't feel let down at all because i chose not to get too into the rumours and I just bought a 5G iPod a little while ago so I'm glad the didn't release a new iPod.

Reaction score
I don't think of it as a letdown because they didn't release the rumored products, I see it as a letdown because the things they did announce just weren't as good as they could have been. We knew the intel mini was coming eventually, but when it came with onboard sound and a higher price tag, that sucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
mynameis said:
but when it came with onboard sound and a higher price tag, that sucks.
True, and that really worries me about the iBook (MacBook?) when it comes out, I really hope it doesn't have crap Intel graphics.

Reaction score
Benjamindaines said:
True, and that really worries me about the iBook (MacBook?) when it comes out, I really hope it doesn't have crap Intel graphics.

I concur, if a 13in widescreen Apple laptop with a Core Solo processor comes out with integrated graphics and costing over $1200, I would have no interest in upgrading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
all of the releases this year will be dissapointing as Jobs annoucned all macs will be intels so rumors are going wild so everyone will be dissapointed this year.

Fact of life so deal with it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
inflexion said:
all of the releases this year will be dissapointing as Jobs annoucned all macs will be intels so rumors are going wild so everyone will be dissapointed this year.

Fact of life so deal with it
Agreed, that's exactly why I don't get into rumours.

Reaction score
I wasn't expecting the mini to suddenly be something amazing, but I really didn't expect it to take a step back.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have seen a few tests done on the new Core Duo Mini and I do not see where it's slower in anyway. Sure the Intel Video with Shared memory is not the best, but also remember the small size of the mini and it might be hard to put a really good Video Chipset on that crowded board. The 9200 in the old Mini is not faster from all I have seen than the new Intel video. The only thing that bugs me is the Shared Memory, but so far from all I have seen it's not going backwards at all. Backwards would mean the older Mini is faster. It's not, at least in every test I have seen.

The Mini was never and will never be a Gaming machine.

My local Apple Store just got in a Core Duo Mini, Am going down monday to try it out and will report back.

Reaction score
i have an intel mac mini. the duo to be specific. its my first mac and im really diggin it. i have a gig of ram and plan on using it for recording music. it seems fine so far, kicking my *** for not getting the bigger hard drive but hopefully i can upgrade it to 120 gigs or something. hope you post back, id like to know what you think.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.