New SDD on MBP but won't accept original install disk.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I upgraded my HDD to SSD as HDD was reporting imminent failure with AHT and I wanted to anyway.

Now I have done that when I turn on 2011 Mac Book Pro 15" Unibody I get the ?folder as I'd expect.

I then try to insert original Mac Install disk that came with the machine but it just spits it out after 10 / 15 seconds. I tried with other watchable DVD's all of which the machine will accept and spin up.

So for some reason the MBP is rejecting the install DVD but doesn't reject other watchable DVD's so I am thinking the Optical is ok.

Any ideas why it is rejecting the install disk and is there anything I can do?

I tried pushing the disk in, turning it off straight away and then starting it up holding C, and Option and R (like a hundred times) but it just spits out the disk.

Help needed please so I can get the machine back up and running.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
What version of OS X are you trying to install ?
What is the colour of the install DVD ?
Are you sure that you are using the original install DVD that came with the machine when it was first purchased ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi McBie

McBie,

Thanks for picking up. Luckily I have just 3 mac's all of different flavours (imac, MacBook Black and MacBookPro 15" and Apple prints the name on the label so there is no mistake on using the right CDS.

I have install disks for all 3, they are grey original apple ones and have the make and model printed on it. The one I am using is the one with 'MacBook Pro 15"' written on it - the others don't. So I am 100% confident it is the right and original apple disk. I also have the application install disk (grey) as well.

In terms of what OS am I trying to install - with 3 macs at various versions it is hard to remember and stupidly I haven't written it down. I'm reluctant to try the install disk in any of the other machines to see what is on it as I suspect it may obliterate things, and as I can't get past the ?folder I can't see what was on the MBP at its death. I've checked the AHT result which I photo'd but it doesn't have the OS on it. The CD doesn't have the OS version on it.

I've tried again with 3 different DVD's ranging from IronMan to Miss Marple :) and it likes those - doesn't spit them out but the install disk comes straight back out after 15 sec or so.

James

OP
A
Reaction score
also

Also,

in terms of what it would have shipped with its a MBP 15" unibody that I think was 2011 but I've just had the back off (one piece) and the optical has 2009 written on it. So I guess I'm not sure about that even. :(

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
James,
The grey install disks are machine specific and on the bottom left of the install DVD there is the OS X version written down ( ie. 10.6.1 )
Could it be that when you bought the machine it had an OS X version loaded on the recovery partition. I can't remember when Apple stopped using install disks.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi guys,

McBie - I've got another pair of glasses and I can actually read the tiny text on the CD now :). I missed it before - sorry.

It is OS version 10.5.7. here's a piccie. Actually I can't work out how to attach a pic. If I click the 'add image' box it comes up with a dialogue asking for an http:// link. Its just an image on my desktop. How do I attach that?

And Ron - it is 100%, without a doubt the right CD. I've only ever had one MBP, it's for home use and the discs are at home. No chance of them getting confused by me. Apple may have shipped the wrong ones, but I am totally sure this is the right disc.

Thanks

OP
A
Reaction score
UPDATE -

10.5.7 seems to support the 2009 date on the optical drive. I think my memory is playing tricks on me - it wasn't 2011 I bought it. Time flies.....

Its pre-thunderbolt but has firewire ports. It has the one-piece back on it with 10 screws holding the backplate on.

Thanks

James

OP
A
Reaction score
McBie,

To be honest I am not sure about the recovery partition or how to access it. Is that on the old (buggered) hdd or somewhere else? I still have the bust HDD and can reinsert if theres a chance it will help but I'm not sure how to invoke recovery partition.

James

OP
A
Reaction score
Ron4Mac,

Just tried inserting the disk and turning it off before it ejected, then starting while pressing Cmd+R but disk just ejected and then after a bit ?folder came up.

Left the disk out, turned off machine, pressed Cmd+R and hit the on-button and it just stayed white till ?folder came up.

Inserted ironman DVD and it took it and span it up without ejecting.

:(

OP
A
Reaction score
Ron4Mac

Thanks - tried that and it worked! Thank you. Now I need to upgrade OS to 10.6 from 10.5. I'm assuming I can't just use the install disk from my Imac which is 10.6?

Thanks you for getting me up and running.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi,

I thought I was home and dry. Very nearly but not quite! The MBP is now working fine but I have tried the Applications Install disk that came with it which has garageband etc on it but ti is just spitting that out now.

Can I copy this to the flash drive as well and install that from the usb drive?

Thanks

James

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might try cleaning your optical drive first. Buy a can of compressed air and blow a few blasts into the opening. I know you said you could read other disks, however, the Leopard disk set is on two double layer disks which require more power to read than a normal DVD.

And yes, you can copy the contents on to a flash drive and use it instead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.