External HD issues

Reaction score
I recently swapped out my internal drives with SDD's. I thought I would take the internal drives and put a couple of them into enclosures and use them for backup drives. I bought a Rosewill enclosure that offered USB 3.0. I'm having several issues with it. First of all, it won't appear in the finder unless I restart my computer with the ext HD on. But even more frustrating, is if I attempt to drag and drop a large amount of data (over 5 GBs), my keyboard and my wireless mouse freezes up. The only way to regain use of them is to do a hard shutdown and restarting. Any suggestions as to what I can do to fix this annoying problem? Mac Pro running OS8.5

Thanks!

Saxman525

Reaction score
I have found similar problems if the drive is plugged into a USB 3.0 hub and not into the machine directly. So now all my drives are connected either to the iMac or to the hub, but the ones on the hub took lots of trial and error moving from hub to iMac to find the correct combination.

OP
S
Reaction score
Dear Harry:

As I mentioned at the end of my original post, I am running a MacPro running 10.8.5. The "new" drive, which is in a new enclosure, allows for only USB 3.0. Taking joelw135's suggestion, I plugged it directly into the computer and the drive I want to transfer, a 1TB G Drive, directly to the computer via Firewire 800. Unfortunately, the suggestion did not help. My keyboard (Macally), which has to be connected to a USB hub because of the distance from the computer, froze up along with my wireless mouse (Logitech) because the receiver is plugged into the USB port of the keyboard. Was joelw135 saying that my keyboard had to be directly plugged into the computer or the 3.0 HD?
Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just checking your post did say version OS 8.5 which is old, old, old. OS X.8.5 is better and many folk refer to the MacBook Pro as a 'Mac Pro'.

Do not think you will get any joy as your Mac Pro does not have USB3 unless you opt for a PCIe card and these have very poor feedback.

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
I'm running 10.8.5. Sorry for the confusion. Thinking it might be the encasement that I put the former internal drive into, I have now purchased a new external HD using USB 3.0 and it is doing the same thing. If I attempt to copy more than a 400MB, my keyboard, which is connected via USB, freezes up. Has NO ONE ever had this problem before??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Did you partition and format the new HD for normal Mac use with Disk Utility??

Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with GUID partition format would be normal.

OP
S
Reaction score
I formatted it but I did not partition either of the two drives that are do this. One is 2TB the newer one is 3TB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Disk Utility's mention of partition is a bit misleading as it considers and state such even when only one partition or volume is created.

As long as you got all the other formatting correct, it should work. Unless you got a goofy new drive. ...???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.