Help needed for installing SSD in Mac Pro 2009

Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first thread here in this forum. I did try looking for the answer first. I recently purchased a Samsung 850 512G SSD to install in my 2009 quad core Mac Pro (boot drive). I was recommended to get a PCIe SSD adaptor (Sonnet Tempo 6Gb/s SATA PCI Express 2.5" TSATA6-SSD-E2 B&H) as my Mac Pro has SATA II port. However after reading various mac forums I am little confused. There were lot of reports about problem with booting (very slow start up times) despite installing firmware and required PRAM and SMS resetting. Also many reviewers felt that for regular use (didn't specify what was regular use) there was not much difference when using the PCIe card over SATA II connection. Is that true?

I'll really appreciate if any of you (who have used PCIe SSD adaptor card) can give me your opinion if it is with worth purchasing this adaptor.

Thanks

Krishna
Reply to thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In my Mac Pro days best option was an OWC 256GB SSD in Bay One in a Icey Dock. Install your operating system on that. It is the fastest way of doing things.

OP
K
Reaction score
In my Mac Pro days best option was an OWC 256GB SSD in Bay One in a Icey Dock. Install your operating system on that. It is the fastest way of doing things.

That was my initial plan and I did purchase the OWC adaptor to install it in bay 1 but then my friend recommended using the Sonnet PCIe card as to get SATA 3 speed. Why should there be slow booting with PCIe adaptor compared to conventional SATA 2 adaptor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Guess the bottom line is what it costs vrsus benefits.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.