Problems of disappearing data on iMac.

Reaction score
Hello fellow 'Mac-ers',

I have a persistent problem (despite many HD erasures, OS X 10.9.3 re installs etc, am now on OS X 10.9.4) that continues to frustrate me.

Having earlier been corrected in my having suggested the existence of possible Mac orientated viruses etc., I was strongly reassured that none such exist.

Accordingly, I wonder if anyone knows of a possible reason why files, folders, contents of folders (while the containing folder remains) silently and unobtrusively disappear forever from my desktop (and elsewhere?).

I run ClamX 2.6.4 in the background and Alvira (which seems to have disappeared, now that I look for it in Applications/Dock)!

I have to manually check every folder, file etc., TimeMachine Backup against the current HD desktop, to try to detect any secret erasures. I usually only have my current work project to suggest a start point for each comparison of data stored/lost.

I 'googled' "open source, anti malware for Mac" but all linked downloads involve resyntaxing of terms within areas in the OS (using Terminal?). This is far beyond my capabilities.

Can anyone suggest how I try to solve this dilemma, please?

Gratefully, PaulRanger1.

P.S. I apologise for my predilection towards verbosity - afflicted me since childhood alas.

OP
PaulRanger1
Reaction score
Hello cradom and thanks,

Files which I have on my desktop will disappear sometimes while I am quitting an application which has become unresponsive. As icons vanish, I quickly go to Finder/Force Quit to stop the progression of icon/data loss. Example of application quitting where this happened are PS Elements 8, 4Media DVD Creator etc.

During normal work sessions, upon opening folders which contained files previously, those files will no longer be there. These occurrences will often become apparent when I boot up for the first time on a day and the files I keep on the desktop for ready access are no longer there.

In the worst episode, icons of files and folders on the desktop began to slide diagonally to the bottom of the screen and vanish WHILE I was working in an application e.g. PS Elements, Apache OpenOffice etc. The data contained within the now missing files was no longer on the HD.

I hope this info is helpful, cradom. Thank you for your kind response.

Sincerely, PaulRanger1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello cradom and thanks,

Files which I have on my desktop will disappear sometimes while I am quitting an application which has become unresponsive. As icons vanish, I quickly go to Finder/Force Quit to stop the progression of icon/data loss. Example of application quitting where this happened are PS Elements 8, 4Media DVD Creator etc.

During normal work sessions, upon opening folders which contained files previously, those files will no longer be there. These occurrences will often become apparent when I boot up for the first time on a day and the files I keep on the desktop for ready access are no longer there.

In the worst episode, icons of files and folders on the desktop began to slide diagonally to the bottom of the screen and vanish WHILE I was working in an application e.g. PS Elements, Apache OpenOffice etc. The data contained within the now missing files was no longer on the HD.

Hi Paul - I probably will not be of much help but you seen to be in some Sci-Fi movie here w/ disappearing files et al!

First, you really need to rid yourself of those viral programs - not needed for the Mac OS - please try to delete them both (visit their respective websites to MAKE sure that you delete all of the remnants of the software).

Second, reboot and try again to see if the same problems are occurring - back up ALL of your important files - you may have to reinstall your Mac OS - don't know? Respond back please - Dave :)

OP
PaulRanger1
Reaction score
Hello Dave,

I thank you for your swift response. How do I identify "those viral programs" and how do I delete them, please?

Without 'ID'ing the viral programs possibly involved, I cannot begin to link to their source websites to do as you suggest.

One further symptom which occurred during a very recent "deleting data" episode was that ALL icon tags were somehow moved from sitting beneath the icon to sitting to the right of ALL icons on the desktop. Does this help you with what is occurring, please?

Sincerely, PaulRanger1.

P.S. In harmony with your leading comments, the lyrics "Science fiction, double feature.. " somehow spring to mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Dave,

I thank you for your swift response. How do I identify "those viral programs" and how do I delete them, please?

Without 'ID'ing the viral programs possibly involved, I cannot begin to link to their source websites to do as you suggest.

One further symptom which occurred during a very recent "deleting data" episode was that ALL icon tags were somehow moved from sitting beneath the icon to sitting to the right of ALL icons on the desktop. Does this help you with what is occurring, please?

Hi again Paul - I use to run ClamXav on an old IBM laptop w/ Ubuntu - just went to their website and quoted below is the removal suggested - about all I can offer; as to Alvira - you'll have to visit their website and see what is recommended to remove their software - might be simple or require removal software (don't know).

Once you've got the malware software off you computer, do a reboot and test again - post back w/ the results - Dave :)

23. How do I uninstall ClamXav completely?
First thing to do is quit ClamXav Sentry (if you use it) and make sure it's not set to launch at log in. You will then need to find the ClamXav disk image which you downloaded when you installed ClamXav (or download the current one again) as you will find an uninstaller application on that disk.

The uninstaller will remove the engine and any schedules you've got set up. All that's left is to drag ClamXav.app to the trash.

OP
PaulRanger1
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I clicked ‘Uninstaller’ for ClamXav 2.6.4’ and a window opened "ClamXav … removed. Drag ClamXav and Uninstaller to Trash, you’re done."

As I mentioned, Avira (sorry) has disappeared from both “Applications" and “Dock". I ’googled’ "How to uninstall Avira on Mac" and a subsequent search of my “Applications” folder shows the “Avira - Uninstall” program seems also to have disappeared .

I will give feedback after a short period (following use, again, of 4Media DVD Creator application, among others), to see if data security is more stable.

One point however, I installed ClamXav and Avira to address these data deletion issues which date back to March 2014. Fellow forum members seem to think these 2 anti virus (?) programs worthwhile, hence my installing them.

Thank you again for your help.

Sincerely, PaulRanger1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dave,

I clicked ‘Uninstaller’ for ClamXav 2.6.4’ and a window opened "ClamXav … removed. Drag ClamXav and Uninstaller to Trash, you’re done."

As I mentioned, Avira (sorry) has disappeared from both “Applications" and “Dock". I ’googled’ "How to uninstall Avira on Mac" and a subsequent search of my “Applications” folder shows the “Avira - Uninstall” program seems also to have disappeared .....

One point however, I installed ClamXav and Avira to address these data deletion issues which date back to March 2014. Fellow forum members seem to think these 2 anti virus (?) programs worthwhile, hence my installing them.[/QUOTE]

Hi again Paul - bolded above 'Fellow forum members' - what forum are you talking about - surely not here? Please explain what is really going on? Dave :)

OP
PaulRanger1
Reaction score
Hello Dave,

Yes, the forum where members recommended ClamXav (including Sentry) and Avira was this forum - Mac Forums. The advice was posted when a member said that his employed demanded that he install a security software (anti viral, I think) onto his Mac to be allowed to use it for work purposes. He asked what software was appropriate for use in the Mac platform.

I've tried to explain the data loss symptoms as they occur, I can't be any more clear in my description. Sorry.

Sincerely, PAul.

C

chas_m

This forum, to the best my knowledge, has never recommended an antivirus program for the Mac at all. For those people whose work requirements absolutely require some sort of antivirus, we have commended Clam AV has the least worst option.

Our official position, and I am not the arbiter such things, is that no antivirus program is necessary. At least, that is my understanding.

Reaction score
Ok, lets start with the basics.
Open System Preferences, click on Sharing, and make sure the following are Unchecked:
Remote Login
Remote Management
Remote Apple Events
Screen Sharing

Uninstall Avira according to their instructions.
How are you connected to the Internet? Through a router? Straight to the cable modem?
Through a DSL modem? What other hardware do you have connected? External drives?
Does anyone have access to your computer?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.