Imported into iPhoto

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 w/OS Sonoma 14.2.1, iPad Mini 6 64Gb, iPhone 13, wife has iPad Pro, iPad Mini and iPhone 15
I have imported many photos into iPhoto. After import I can then do all sorts of editing on them.
My latest import from a USB stick will not let me edit any photos unless I leave the stick inserted. Any thoughts?

This is on a Mac Book Air, fairly new

Last edited:
C

chas_m

It sounds as though you have iPhoto set NOT to copy images into its own library, but to just reference them in their original location. Thus, the photos are not actually in iPhoto, only references to them are, and require the stick for you to work with the photos.

The default method is the opposite of this, with iPhoto copying imports into its own photo vault, whereupon you can discard the "originals." You may want to consider switching to this method, but you don't have to -- just copy the photos from the USB stick to a folder, place the folder when you want it permanently stored on your drive, then import that folder into iPhoto.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 w/OS Sonoma 14.2.1, iPad Mini 6 64Gb, iPhone 13, wife has iPad Pro, iPad Mini and iPhone 15
Thanks Chas, I have imported lots of other photos and don't have this problem.
I will have a look at the settings you suggest, but where do I find these settings?
Cheers Dave

Last edited:
C

chas_m

In iPhoto's settings.

The reason you haven't had the issue before is because you were "importing" the references from pictures that were already on your hard drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are now starting to confuse me!

The pictures you refer to were not on the hard drive, I imported them directly from a USB stick or SD card into iPhoto.

I have changed no settings.

Where do I find these settings?

I appreciate the assistance you are giving me.

Cheers Dave

C

chas_m

As I stated earlier: in iPhoto's preferences.

Here's a picture that may help (yours might look slightly different, I am running Yosemite Public Beta)

iPhoto-prefs.png

Is your Importing: checkbox checked ... or unchecked?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Chas, It it currently unchecked. I have never selected this switch at all so I don't know how it changed it's behaviour. Thanks all the same, will fix it.
Will I now need to re-import those photos?

Dave

C

chas_m

Without knowing how long that has been unchecked, checking it could be quite a change and I would advise you proceed with caution there. It could be that none of the photos on your machine are stored in iPhoto's library, so it might start copying hundreds or thousands of photos the next time you start it up and you may not have the room to do that.

Here's a thread in another forum on this topic that may prove useful:

iPhoto 11 moving from Referenced to Managed - MacRumors Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.