Mac OSX 10.6.8 Canon Powershot 135 compatibility

Reaction score
Just got new Canon Powershot ELPH 135 camera. Have 3 year old MacBook OSX 10.6.8 which works fine and had no problem w/ Powershot A480. Won't recognize new camera. Is there a software download from either Apple or Canon - can't seem to find one. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you've already checked software updates and the Canon site and came up empty, there probably are no drivers at the present time for your camera. Apple continues to update their driver data base for cameras and may include yours in a future update.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks. I am trying to download a Maverick OS version for the Mac. Apple site says it is free but it is taking a long time. If I have a newer operating system, maybe the camera will recognize it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible that drivers for your new Canon are included with Mavericks. Let us know.

OP
R
Reaction score
Was able to download the latest (free) Mac OS (10.9.5), and also the software from the Canon site for the Powershot ELPH 135. After restarting, installing, etc. when I plug in camera, I get a camera icon and then a "no camera found" message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
Instead of fighting something that is't working (and is a kludge anyway) just pull the SD card out of your camera and place it in the card reader of your MacBook. This will be much faster and easier than using software to transfer files directly from the camera. Additionally, it won't drain your camera's battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Instead of fighting something that is't working (and is a kludge anyway) just pull the SD card out of your camera and place it in the card reader of your MacBook. This will be much faster and easier than using software to transfer files directly from the camera. Additionally, it won't drain your camera's battery.

1+ Just about to say the same - believe that I'm on my 4th digital camera and have always simply removed the SD card and just plugged into a laptop. Dave :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks but the Mac Book I have (little over 3 yrs old) does not have a slot for the SD card. It has a CD drive and USB drives but no SD slot (unless very well hidden). (13" mid 2010).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks but the Mac Book I have (little over 3 yrs old) does not have a slot for the SD card. It has a CD drive and USB drives but no SD slot (unless very well hidden). (13" mid 2010).

Hi Reneea - sorry, not familiar w/ your model but checked Every Mac and I believe your laptop is the one linked, and no expansion slots.

Of course, another consideration would be an inexpensive SD-USB adapter - I have the one shown below (an older model) - if interested, just google 'SD card USB adapters' - should get plenty of hits - good luck! Dave :)

images.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
Well, that will slow things down a bit but is still an easier solution than downloading the files directly off the camera. I've shot at least 300,000 digital images in the past 13 years and have always used a card reader, except for a couple of times I downloaded from a camera out of curiosity. I found the process rather painful.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice. I will be ordering a card adapter asap. Two days spent trying to figure it out is two too many!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.