Macbook air 2013 noise when reclining stuck air vent?

Reaction score
Hey guys
my little bro has a 2013 macbook air he purchased last year and last month the dog spilled juice on it. I don't think he cleaned it up right a way but he dried it.

Obviously the keyboard was sticky, but got better with time. I saw it yesterday and it makes a sound as if something is stuck in the vent when I am in a reclining position.

I tried tapping it to see if something was there, but no change. Anything else we can do? It's like a buzzing noise only when reclining.

I know we don't have any applecare or insurance to take care of it so was wondering if taking it to genius bar is worth it or not?

thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sounds to me that some of that spilled beverage got into the fan...and the sugar and/or acids in the beverage basically compromised the light oil used on the bearings. Not to mention made it sticky.

If this is the case two options:

1. Remove the fan...clean the fan...and relube the fan...then reinstall.
2. Or simply replace the fan.

The fact that the fan (at this point is the only thing that seems effected) means that the owner of the computer is very very lucky. Because this beverage spill could have resulted in a dead computer...and a $500+ repair.

- Nick

p.s. It is always possible something else could pop-up in the future due to the beverage spill. So watch out.

OP
A
Reaction score
Sounds to me that some of that spilled beverage got into the fan...and the sugar and/or acids in the beverage basically compromised the light oil used on the bearings. Not to mention made it sticky.

If this is the case two options:

1. Remove the fan...clean the fan...and relube the fan...then reinstall.
2. Or simply replace the fan.

The fact that the fan (at this point is the only thing that seems effected) means that the owner of the computer is very very lucky. Because this beverage spill could have resulted in a dead computer...and a $500+ repair.

- Nick

p.s. It is always possible something else could pop-up in the future due to the beverage spill. So watch out.

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions...I agree very lucky

OP
A
Reaction score
I haven't been able to remove the fan, I would have to take it to a shop to do it since I don't have the materials and I'm not too tech savy.

However, today while using it, he told me that the keyboard is quite hot (especially under w key) and the space bar is always sticky to go down. I don't know what to tell him. But is it possible that the thing may explode? that's what I'm worried about? like a fire or something?

I know I'm probably just being paranoid but i thought I would ask. I hope it is releasing heat ok. I know that this $1000 beuatiful piece of equipment is not worth much since the accident but I hope that his stupidity doesn't cause a fire.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I haven't been able to remove the fan, I would have to take it to a shop to do it since I don't have the materials and I'm not too tech savy.

Go to ifixit.com...see the procedures on getting access to things...and see if it's something you can do.:) From the sounds of it...this computer is going to need an almost complete disassembly (not the display area) to get things cleaned up. A fairly big project...but necessary.

However, today while using it, he told me that the keyboard is quite hot (especially under w key) and the space bar is always sticky to go down. I don't know what to tell him.

Laptop/notebook computers can get very warm/hot...so it is difficult to say if this is normal...or due to the beverage spill. Just got to get in there...and see what's up. With the time that has gone by (according to the dates of this thread)...we are getting close to 4 weeks since the spill (at least). More than likely most of the water content of the juice has evaporated...and what is left is a lot of sticky, syrupy residue that needs to be taken care of.

I know I'm probably just being paranoid but i thought I would ask. I hope it is releasing heat ok. I know that this $1000 beuatiful piece of equipment is not worth much since the accident but I hope that his stupidity doesn't cause a fire.

If it is still working fine (mostly)...then it is still worth a lot. But if it all of a sudden "craps out"...then it will be worth next to nothing (actually the good parts could still be worth a good bit if sold on eBay).

By the way...if this computer still had Applecare remaining...it's not going to matter...since liquid spills are not covered. And I'm pretty sure that Apple will not clean it either (even if the owner is willing pay them).

You are pretty much left with paying a repair shop to clean it...or clean it yourself or the owner of the computer. At this point be very very very thankful that it still works. About 95% or more of these cases really do end up with a dead computer. And then it would be time to shop for another $1000 computer...or suffer with no computer!:(

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.