Question about updating iPad 3 to ios 8

Reaction score
My dad has an iPad 3rd generation and I was wondering how well ios 8 performs on it. Does it slow it down any? Also should we just wait on updating it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm sure you must realize that it's only been about 24 hours since iOS 8 has been released. It may take a bit more time before folks can form an opinion as far as the pros & cons of iOS 8.

It's always been my practice to wait a while before updating to a newer OS version. Initial releases can sometimes still contain some significant bugs…which a first update will mostly correct.

Also…is there a reason you need to upgrade to iOS 8? Is there a feature/features that are a "must have"?

Stuff to consider.:)

- Nick

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My dad has an iPad 3rd generation and I was wondering how well ios 8 performs on it. Does it slow it down any? Also should we just wait on updating it?

I have an iPad 3 and updated it to iOS 8. So far... it runs just about the same as it did before but looks different. I like to live dangerously so I install updates as soon as they come out. Just finished installing OS X 10.9.5 a little while ago. ;)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I agree with pigoo3, let someone else sort out the bugs before taking the plunge. chscag on the other hand I'm sure has more than one computer if not several. If you only have one device and are not yet ready to step up to Yosemite and whatever compatibility issues that may introduce I would certainly wait a while.
Having said that, I too am itching to update after a month of trying out the Beta version but I'm not willing to commit my primary device just yet.
Call me a pessimist but I'm anticipating a flood of posts regarding installation problems with both Yosemite and iOS8 in the next few months.
In particular I draw everyones attention to the multiple articles on iCloud Drive, see; iOS app devs warn customers off iOS 8's iCloud Drive | Computerworld

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another reason to be cautious when upgrading a devices OS is (when a new OS version has been just released)...it can be a real pain in the butt to downgrade if issues are found.

But lots of folks are & have been early adopters...so it's all about what someone is comfortable with.:)

- Nick

OP
MasterShake
Reaction score
Another reason to be cautious when upgrading a devices OS is (when a new OS version has been just released)...it can be a real pain in the butt to downgrade if issues are found.

But lots of folks are & have been early adopters...so it's all about what someone is comfortable with.:)

- Nick

Alright thanks for the advice I will tell my dad to just wait a while before updating like until 8.1 gets out. I did also update to 10.9.5 on my mac mini. I most likely will be updating to 10.10 when its released hopefully by the end of the month if not october. I am wishing I did the same thing when updating to ios 7 on my old iPhone 4 I wish I waited to see what other people think about it and see how it runs so that I would have stuck with ios 6.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am wishing I did the same thing when updating to ios 7 on my old iPhone 4 I wish I waited to see what other people think about it and see how it runs so that I would have stuck with ios 6.

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying that when iOS 7 first came out:

- You immediately updated your iPhone 4...and then you didn't like iOS 7 & wish you had stayed with iOS 6?
- Or did you have "bug" problems with iOS 7 when it was first released?

iOS 7 was released September, 2013 (one year ago). So if "bug" problems was the issue...they certainly should have mostly been fixed by now.:)

- Nick

OP
MasterShake
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying that when iOS 7 first came out:

- You immediately updated your iPhone 4...and then you didn't like iOS 7 & wish you had stayed with iOS 6?
- Or did you have "bug" problems with iOS 7 when it was first released?

iOS 7 was released September, 2013 (one year ago). So if "bug" problems was the issue...they certainly should have mostly been fixed by now.:)

- Nick

Yeah it was when ios 7 came out I am wishing I hadn't immediately updated it but right now it seems fine since its on 7.1.2 non jailbroken. I should have stuck with ios 6 cause it runs better on that firmware.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah it was when ios 7 came out I am wishing I hadn't immediately updated it but right now it seems fine since its on 7.1.2 non jailbroken. I should have stuck with ios 6 cause it runs better on that firmware.

Ok…I hear ya & understand now.:)

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
What's the old saying, "act in haste regret at leisure.";D

C

chas_m

No troubles with iOS 8 on this third-gen iPad. It's probably a good idea to have some free space available, though.

OP
MasterShake
Reaction score
No troubles with iOS 8 on this third-gen iPad. It's probably a good idea to have some free space available, though.

Thats good. My dad already updated his iPad 3 64gb to ios 8 and looks fine to me. I guess its cause its not that old of a device.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that's good news for me I suppose. Just before leaving Bali a week ago my wife went to sync her 3rd gen iPad Mini and was told by iTunes that she could not sync until she performed an update. This turned out to be the iOS 8 update. Problem was she didn't have enough space. So I paused the update, removed some data and completed the sync. I just don't like the way Apple pushes these iOS updates as if we have no choice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.