tiger installation crashed system...

L

lievenv

Hi everybody,

I just tried installing tiger on my G4 and the whole system crashed...

When the setup utility was verifying the installationdisk it told me some parts of it could not be read and to look for fingerprints and scratches (there are some scratches).

I, however, had the option to continue with the installation and I did.
After about 30mins of installing I got the message that the system couldn't continue with the installation. I had no other option than to force shutdown my machine, cos nothing else worked.

Now nothing works. The system won't boot at all. Not with any of the installation dvd's in the drive and not with nothing in the drive.
When I boot with a disk in the drive nothing happens at all, when I boot without, I hear the ping and then just a lightgray screen with a darkgray prohibition sign in the middle.

I am a little worried...
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Vincent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2GB RAM Mac OS X 10.5
From the looks of it, your OS is trashed. I advise you to slave your current hard disk into another computer (if you haven't already backed up your files), and to boot using your original bundle CD/DVD (I advise using the original, so you can install the classic environment), while holding down 'C', to order your machine to boot from CD/DVD. Once installed, you could try upgrading your system (again, if upgrading was what you did last time).

You could also try the new Tiger installer you've got, but this would mean you'd still have to install your original OS 9 (I assume that this is your original OS...?)

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck.

OP
L

lievenv

Hi,

My original OS is 10.2.8 actually and unfortunately I don't have the original installation disks any longer...
The good news...I did backup my data, but didn't ghost my harddrive...

OP
L

lievenv

Ok, so I got a new copy of Tiger. After trying just about every key combination that I know to try and boot up my mac with the new tiger installation dvd in the drive (still nothing worked), I looked some more on the internet and found out that apparently you can't just boot from an installation dvd. This is a problem since I don't have any other cd's/dvd's than installation ones...
Uhmmm, any ideas as to what I could try next?

Also, before when I booted up my mac I got the ping and then a gray screen with some harddrive activity and then the prohibition sign. Now I get nothing anymore. Black screen and no ping...

Thanks

OP
L

lievenv

After a zillion reboots, it suddenly fixed itself and started over with the upgrade.
Didn't lose any files.
Everything works.
Phew.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2GB RAM Mac OS X 10.5
lol. I'm glad that your persistence paid off. Congratz.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.