iOS 8 is now available for download

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As the title states, iOS 8 is available for download. Go to software update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch and press update. It's around 936 MB and takes around 8 or 9 minutes on average to download. And then another 10 minutes or so to prepare the update.

Right now it's verifying the update before installing.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's installed and so far looks good. It's quite a bit larger than iOS 7.X and may require removing some apps or other things you don't need in order to make room for the installation. It appears to take up around 1.5 GB of additional space than iOS 7.X.

And don't forget to backup before installing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
installed here too on my daughter's phone, my phone and iPad

had to remove a few apps to create enough space for the update, and then re-install them later

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
installed here too on my daughter's phone, my phone and iPad

had to remove a few apps to create enough space for the update, and then re-install them later

I'll be holding off through the weekend and likely will update our iPads (iPad 2 for me & Mini for wife) early next week - my 32 GB device has 11 GBs of 'free space' which should be enough (wife has even more). Below a statement from HERE; so for those w/ less than 5 GB left on your pads, then some app/data (like photos/music) deletion will be needed and advised. Dave :)

The system update takes up about 1 GB of space, but iPhones and iPads require users have 4.6 GB of free space before they can download and install iOS 8.

Read more: Here's Why iOS 8 Requires 4.6 GB Of Space - Business Insider

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
My iPhone says "Update requested..." after I hit download and update from settings. Does this mean I've been put into some kind of queue for download?

Haven't tried downloading via my Mac yet. I'll give it a shot now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
My iPhone says "Update requested..." after I hit download and update from settings. Does this mean I've been put into some kind of queue for download?

Haven't tried downloading via my Mac yet. I'll give it a shot now.

Mine did the same. It will run on its own in time.

Reaction score
its good ole 7.0.6 for me.

I will wait for this update until i go with either the 6 or 6+

unless you guys see anything that is a must have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina, iPhone, iPad Air, wife's iMac, iPad Retina & MacBook
Since installation, iTunes does not sync individual music playlists to the iPhone. Any fix?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since installation, iTunes does not sync individual music playlists to the iPhone. Any fix?

Hi Platos - you've hijack another thread completely unrelated to your topic, I assume - please start your own thread and provide a lot more information: 1) Apple computer being used (model/year); 2) OS X installed (assume that is your OS); and 3) What do you mean by 'since installation' - are you indeed on an Apple computer or on a PC - not sure - BUT, confusion exists that needs further explanation. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I had a 1.6gb iPhone and 1.9gb iPad Mini download and everything works great, and its a little cleaner than the last Beta.

Im guessing thats what that means. It took me 3 go's to get my sons 4s in as it felt the servers where getting hammered. But both my iPhone and iPad Mini had the "requested" message, and then took about 7-10 mins to show the download bar.

Works with the latest iTunes on my iMac w/ Mavericks.
Try restarting everything, and make sure you don't have iTunes Match selected on your iPhone.
I just turned off iTunes Match and tried to sync Playlists and it did so without a issue, but I had to restart iTunes, before it clicked that I had turned of iTunes Match.

Restarts usually fix these things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I thought it was about iOS 8 issues where we are talking about iPhones and iPads. I notice that Tatooed Mac is suggesting a fix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Tattooed Mac, all is well now.

Reaction score
Installed and running on my iPad 2. Despite all the press reports about poorly performing iPad 2's I can't notice a difference in speed, and it runs well.

Definitely liking the new keyboard a lot, I've been sending emails all morning and the predictive typing is excellent.

Also, the visual changes look great, I like the new look notification centre especially.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Praise the gods! I can finally access 1Password directly from within Safari! No more copy/pasting out of 1Password (though even that had been minimized since iOS7 with the Keychain syncing). I was able to re-arrange the actions in the menu so 1Password would always be available without scrolling through all the items (see screen cap). You can also authorize 1Password with your fingerprint if you have an iPhone with TouchID. Woot!

IMG_2643.jpg

I have a couple quick tips here. I quickly tired of having Apple's "tips" littering my UI. It's a great option for people who aren't aware of some of the more advanced features of iOS, but for me it's just noise. As it turns out, these are easily eliminated by simply turning of notifications for the new Tips app.

Secondly, I didn't care for the bar of recent contacts that now appears on top of the screen when using the Application Switcher. It's disabled via a preference in Mail, Contacts, Calendars » Show in App Switcher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I thought it was about iOS 8 issues where we are talking about iPhones and iPads. I notice that Tatooed Mac is suggesting a fix.

Hi Platos - sorry but I misunderstood your issue - assumed the problem was syncing to a computer and that was your question - glad that all worked out well - Dave :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Praise the gods! I can finally access 1Password directly from within Safari! No more copy/pasting out of 1Password (though even that had been minimized since iOS7 with the Keychain syncing). I was able to re-arrange the actions in the menu so 1Password would always be available without scrolling through all the items (see screen cap). You can also authorize 1Password with your fingerprint if you have an iPhone with TouchID. Woot!
Yeah, this is nice. 1Password was great on my Mac but their browser was lacklustre. Being baked in is great.

I have a couple quick tips here. I quickly tired of having Apple's "tips" littering my UI. It's a great option for people who aren't aware of some of the more advanced features of iOS, but for me it's just noise. As it turns out, these are easily eliminated by simply turning of notifications for the new Tips app.
Yeah, this really frustrated me when I installed iOS 8 on my iPad. I've been dealing with it for a week (as a registered dev, I got the GM a week ago) and had hoped that it was removable (unfortunately not).

Secondly, I didn't care for the bar of recent contacts that now appears on top of the screen when using the Application Switcher. It's disabled via a preference in Mail, Contacts, Calendars » Show in App Switcher
Oh, thank you for this! I get the utility of this if you contact people a lot but this doesn't seem super necessary. Now, if you could add this to Control Centre, it might be helpful.

With the refinements to iOS, the release of iPhones not designed for people who have small hands (praise proper screen sizes!) and Continuity, I, for the first time ever, am contemplating getting an iPhone. Apple fixed all of my major gripes (screen size and sharing content between apps) and while I don't think it's perfect (no phone is), it's a much more palatable option now. While I agree with many reviews which note that Apple has caught up with other platforms, I think they caught up in the ways that matter. As one review said, "Apple may have been playing catch up but they're off to a great start in that regard."

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I suspect there could be a problem relating to iCloud Drive. If one enables iCloud Drive on the iPhone or iPad it will work on these devices, but not on the Mac until such time as the current OS is upgraded to Yosemite. I think this means that if you currently have documents saved to iCloud and then activate iCloud Drive, there is a serious chance they will be lost. Or am I over-reacting?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suspect there could be a problem relating to iCloud Drive. If one enables iCloud Drive on the iPhone or iPad it will work on these devices, but not on the Mac until such time as the current OS is upgraded to Yosemite. I think this means that if you currently have documents saved to iCloud and then activate iCloud Drive, there is a serious chance they will be lost. Or am I over-reacting?

At the moment, for those upgrading to iOS 8, the iCloud Drive option should be avoided - I'm waiting through the weekend until upgrading my two iPads, but will select the 'Not Now' option when asked about Drive - quoted below was part of a warning given in a thread on the iPad Forums HERE - Dave :)

We have a major warning to share with iOS users. Today is the day that Apple is making iOS 8 available to the public. There will be a number of reasons you will want to get iOS 8, but during the installation it is absolutely critical that you do NOT upgrade to iCloud Drive when the iOS 8 installation prompts you. This is especially important if you also use a Mac as your personal computer.

The reason for this is because iCloud Drive will only sync with devices running iOS 8 or OS X Yosemite (which hasn't been officially released yet). The full official version of Yosemite is expected in the next month or so. We are sure there are several of you who may be trying out the pre-release, but we must reiterate that iCloud Drive is NOT COMPATIBLE with iOS versions 7 and older, and it is NOT COMPATIBLE with OS X 10.9 Mavericks or older.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iOS 8 installer clearly warns about iCloud drive not being compatible before you select it. It also should be noted that you can continue to sync your iPhone and iPad by connecting the devices to your Mac. You just can't do it via the iCloud drive until Yosemite is released.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think this means that if you currently have documents saved to iCloud and then activate iCloud Drive, there is a serious chance they will be lost. Or am I over-reacting?

That's an interesting question. I would "think" that any documents saved to iCloud would remain in limbo until such time that Yosemite is released. Folks that use iCloud for document storage should retain another copy on their Mac even if iCloud syncing is working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.