Dead Battery????

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Macbook Air and a few weeks ago, it started turning off randomly after a few minutes of use. It only works without turning off when it's plugged into the power.
I tried resetting the SMC various times, and the battery software update was not applicable to my device.
I'm not sure if it's a dead battery or not, because the device still charges.
I work for a magazine, and kinda need my laptop so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
OP
B
Reaction score
The cycle count is 110/1000
when i press option and click on the battery, it says "condition: normal"
And the battery health is stated at 90%

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
The cycle count is 110/1000
when i press option and click on the battery, it says "condition: normal"
And the battery health is stated at 90%

Well those stats look fine to me - I use the same battery app on my MBPro (early '13) (at 200 cycles, 97% healthy, and 'normal') - check Apple's support article on Resetting SMC to make sure you did the maneuver correctly.

Did you purchase Apple Care w/ your laptop or are you still w/i the one year warranty period? A visit to an Apple Store or an authorized Apple retailer might be considered if the battery issue is not resolved. Good luck - Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Yup, I know I resetted it correctly because the light on the power cord briefly changed colours.
I also ran a diagnostics test, and it said that there are no issues.
I don't think its water damage, because Ive never spilt a liquid on it.
The biggest problem is that I live in Dubai, and they haven't opened an apple store yet :(

OP
B
Reaction score
Do you think that the voltage its receiving could be an issue since this macbook was purchased in canada?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Do you think that the voltage its receiving could be an issue since this macbook was purchased in canada?

Well, my MBPro charging unit input range is 100-240V, so I suspect that yours is similar for the Air - not sure what kind of current you get in Dubai, but have you tried other power outlets? Also, if there is a plug-in adapter, you might want try another one? Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
If you're using a universal to British plug adaptor (Dubai has the same plugs/voltage as the UK), that might be the problem. I had the same thing happen with my MacBook Pro when I was in England. I would recommend either getting a UK extension cord or an American to UK plug adaptor (like this one) and plugging your extension cord into that instead.

Hope that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.