Need reformat without CD/DVD drive

Reaction score
I have been trying to back up with Time machine with no luck, after 24 hours it looked like it had frozen up for the third time in a row. My cd/dvd drive won't take in disks so i do not have the option of using a dvd to do a reinstall. My Mac is fairly old so wont have a Recovery HD so i have created a USB version by downloading the Recovery Disk Assistant program. I have manually dragged my music, games and documents onto an external.

Now i just need to know what to do next? Will this recovery HD allow me to reformat? Do i go through disk utility first? I am a little nervous trying to reformat without knowing what i am doing and without having the option of using a DVD :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We need more info: Year and model of your Mac and which version of OS X are you currently running? And just for your information sake.... you can always purchase an external DVD drive to do the reinstall.

OP
J
Reaction score
iMac 24-inch Early 2009, Software - OSX 10.9.4 (13E28), Model A1225

Thanks, will keep that in mind as an option, but would be great if i could get this sorted without having to buy one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
My Mac is fairly old so wont have a Recovery HD so i have created a USB version by downloading the Recovery Disk Assistant program

OS X 10.9 installs a hidden recovery partition. You access it by restarting and holding Option key or Command-r.
The USB installer is another option. Again, startup holding Option key.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.