Tried clicking on it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
what do you mean

I think that what Harry means is…if you have multiple windows layered on top of each other & not maximized (say on the desktop)…just click on the window that you are interested in.

If you are in a situation where you have an applications window maximized (taking up the entire computers display & cannot "see" the windows from other applications)…and you want to switch to another applications window. The way I would do it is…go to the "Dock" and click on the applications icon.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks for your answer. in some cases i need to work on some window while keeping another window on the front. I have attached picture that contain MatLab window and terminal, so sometimes I need to write on Matlab editor while keeping terminal on top/bottom of the screen. I can do that on Linux. I am newbie to Mac.
Thanks in advance

Screen Shot 2014-09-16 at 9.01.33 PM.png

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I know what you mean ahmed, unfortunately the way the mac works is that only the foremost window is active everything else goes behind it so there are only a few ways to achieve your aim.
1. Offset the terminal window so that you can click on it as required.
2. Minimise it to the dock using the yellow button top left. and open as required,
or and this is the solution I favour, get yourself some more real-estate. In other words a larger or secondary screen which will enable you to have both windows visible at the same time.
Having said that Afloat is an easy app to instal and use. It will enable you by going to the Window pull down menu, top of screen to select Keep Afloat and what ever window you have open at the time will stay on top until you unselect it and I use this myself. See illustration and you will see cursor in the active window but terminal remains on top.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 10.04.53 am.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 10.04.53 am.png
    137.1 KB · Views: 32
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
maybe I am missing the point, but I either use Command + Tab to switch like windows, or hit F3 to bring up the desktop navigator. The dock also works, but mostly not a preference for me.

OP
A
Reaction score
I know about that, but the point here is to have active window which is not on the top of the screen.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thanks Rod, very helpful answer, I am trying now to install the afloat, however, I do not know how to install that one, many files exist https://github.com/millenomi/afloat/ , Any idea about how to install that one.
Thanks in advance

I'm not sure if I would download from github it's not a site I trust. I believe I got it here mac os x 10.9 afloat free download (Mac) with no problems for me although downloading software these days is always risky. I hope you have a backup first.
The download is a compressed (zipped) file once you have it, double click it and follow the instructions. It will install itself. The package comes with a manual.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for you help, I tried to install the one that you send me, however, it does not work. I will send email the guys who's build the software for that.
Thanks again for your help.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot for you help, I tried to install the one that you send me, however, it does not work. I will send email the guys who's build the software for that.
Thanks again for your help.

Sorry Ahmed I should have asked what OS you were running but I was fairly sure that was where I got it for Mavericks. The developers site is probably the best source.:Oops:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, I see your problem, there really is not a developer's site as such. All links I can find take me to GitHub so I have tried a download from there and it seems fine. You need to click the little button on the right that says, "Download Zip"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.