how to set up a disk image on usb hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
l thought it was as straightforward as setting it up on my mbpr HD, except l highlight the usb drive as in attachment1, then clicking on 'New Image' to which l get the screen as in attachment2, but it doesnt have the usual options like 'Size', 'partition', 'image format', nonetheless for image format l chose read/write, as believe that allows me to write and read the files, l then had to put in my pw to continue which l did correctly but get attachment5 screen , so is it possible or do l have to create the disk image on my computer and transfer it to the usb drive?
(Attachments are too large :(
)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 10.9.4
If you could put the pictures up, I think it would be easier to grasp exactly what you are trying to do... what are you trying to do exactly? Create a disc image of a USB drive?

IF that is the case, you can do so in Disk Utility... are you trying to create a disc image of the same USB you wish to put the disc image on?
You must be in Disk Utility because you are selecting the drive and clicking "New Image...". So again, I'm not sure what your question is exactly?

(You can resize the images... if you open in Preview go to File --> Export --> Choose .jpeg from format menu and then reduce file size / quality)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
If you could put the pictures up, I think it would be easier to grasp exactly what you are trying to do... what are you trying to do exactly? Create a disc image of a USB drive?

IF that is the case, you can do so in Disk Utility... are you trying to create a disc image of the same USB you wish to put the disc image on?
You must be in Disk Utility because you are selecting the drive and clicking "New Image...". So again, I'm not sure what your question is exactly?

(You can resize the images... if you open in Preview go to File --> Export --> Choose .jpeg from format menu and then reduce file size / quality)

there seems alot of steps to resize, l use preview, tools, adjust size, and previews export .JPEG as suggested but it says :
"3.jpg:
The Dimension limits for this filetype are 1500 x 1500. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 1535 x 740." is there a way to just set the limit to 1500 x 1500?
anyway l have attached , sorry for not making myself clear, l want to create a disk image (to get a password protected folder) on my usb hd, it has 80GB free, so could l make a flexible "open"disk image with its size dependent on what files l put in the disk image and of course the HD space. if so how?

View attachment 20964

View attachment 20965

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Reaction score
Create it on your hard drive. Put all your stuff in it. Copy it to USB drive.
Also might work better if drive were formatted HFS+ instead of FAT32.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
Create it on your hard drive. Put all your stuff in it. Copy it to USB drive.
Also might work better if drive were formatted HFS+ instead of FAT32.

what is there difference between HFS+ and FAT32?

Reaction score
HFS+ is Apple's natural filesystem. FAT32 is MSDOS.
Apple can read/write FAT32 up to (I think it's) 4gig.
If your .dmg is larger it wont work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.