Powermac G5 Price

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Many times when we get a thread from someone regarding an older computer (usually an old G3 iMac or a Powermac G4)…where they find the old computer:

- in a closet
- in the trash
- got it cheap at a yard sale
- was given to them from a friend/family

…and they are trying to "resurrect" it. I usually like to warn them in two ways:

1. It's only worth $10-$20 bucks (maybe).
2. Better off taking the money that would be put into this old computer to get it going…and putting it towards something newer/better.

I was just watching an eBay auction…and saw a dual 1.8ghz Powermac G5 sell for $20.51!

Sure a dual Powermac G5 is on the older side…but much better than a G3 iMac or Powermac G4. You can actually surf the internet fairly well with a Powermac G5…and in this case…for just $20.51!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
must have been a local pickup only. It would cost more than that to ship. I assume you're talking about a G5 tower. I have a dead one sitting in its original packing material (ready to ship, you lucky shoppers :)) It was 'retired' when the power supplied up and died, just a month after the recall affecting this issue expired. At the time it was 600 dollars and up just for a power supply. I made the horrible decision to go back to the dark side, regretted it almost instantly and it was a year before i was able to get back right with SJ & co. :Smirk:

frankly, it's recycling material at this point. The only thing is I don't want it going to some third world country where environmental and worker safety laws are for all intents and purposes nonexistent.

I have a G4 powermac tower that is still running but it can't surf anymore, lightning took care of its ethernet board (hence the G5 acquisition). The G4 was just taken out of service two days ago when I moved my old mac mini to the music room where the former resided for years. New mac mini coming online hopefully today concurrently with the old one, my first network. Woo hoo.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
must have been a local pickup only. It would cost more than that to ship.

Nope…it wasn't local pickup only. When it sold for $20.51…that was just lucky for the buyer. I think shipping was probably $25-$30…which made the final price around $50 bucks. Still a very good deal…since Powermac G5's still sell for around $100 + shipping.

I assume you're talking about a G5 tower.

Yes…just as the thread title & thread post mentions.;)

I have a dead one sitting in its original packing material (ready to ship, you lucky shoppers :)) It was 'retired' when the power supplied up and died, just a month after the recall affecting this issue expired. At the time it was 600 dollars and up just for a power supply.

This must have been a very very long time ago. Powermac G5's haven't sold for anywhere near $600 for a very very long time (at least not in the United States).

- Most 1.8ghz and 2.0ghz dual-cpu Powermac G5's are selling for around $100 on eBay at the moment.
- And 1st generation quad-core Mac Pro's are selling for around $300.

So no informed person currently would pay $600 for a dual-cpu Powermac G5. So like I mentioned…$600 must have been a long long time ago.;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.