27" iMac - Target Display Mode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP: 2gig CD
Hey all,

I'm hoping you can confirm my findings about using my recently purchased 27" iMac in Target Display Mode. I am trying to connect my Macbook Pro 5,1 (2008 Unibody) running Mountain Lion to the iMac using an Apple store-bought Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable.

Everything I've found so far points me to believing that since my MBP is the first gen Unibody, the mini-DisplayPort can't transmit data out into a readable format that the Thunderbolt connection on the iMac can recognize which is why I can't activate TDM using Command-F2. I guess I can live with this since I have Apple Remote Desktop but I was wondering if anybody can shed some light as to why this is or if my findings are correct.

I look forward to your input. Thanks.

-Sukh

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Everything I've found so far points me to believing that since my MBP is the first gen Unibody, the mini-DisplayPort can't transmit data out into a readable format that the Thunderbolt connection on the iMac can recognize which is why I can't activate TDM using Command-F2. I guess I can live with this since I have Apple Remote Desktop but I was wondering if anybody can shed some light as to why this is or if my findings are correct.

You are correct. Both Macs have to have either a Firewire port or Thunderbolt port. If one machine only has Firewire and the other only has Thunderbolt, then a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter is needed. $$ You can not use USB for TDM, and your 2008 MBP which only has a MDP likewise will not work for TDM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.