Emergency! Please help!

Reaction score
Last night I was using my macbook fine as normal, this morning when I switch it on it boots up to the normal login screen asking for my username and password but when I go to type, the keyboard is non-reponsive. The tab key works, the space bar works, the return key works, the number keys work, but when I try to type my username using the letter keys, nothing. It's like the letters buttons aren't working but everything else is. No letters will type in the 'Name' section of the login screen, but every letter except B and F will type in the 'Password' section, yet I cannot copy-n-paste from one to the other to get around this. It's very strange but it means I cannot start up my laptop or access any of my files, which I need for work. I don't know why or how this happened, everything was fine when I shut down last night. Please advise on how I can fix this or how to get around starting the macbook without logging in - this is urgent. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Have you tried using an external USB keyboard

C

chas_m

Just borrow someone's for two minutes, that's the quickest way to find out what's going on.

To me it sounds like a spill or food has happened to that keyboard.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
FWIW
Please don't erase original posts unless it contains harmful or embarrassing info. Often people who have a similar issue will find posts like yours helpful. In this case, not, since the issue is now missing from the thread.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
oops, my mistake - i have put the original post back now.

Thanks,
Appreciate that. Now your post will serve as an on-line resource for others with similar problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
oops, my mistake - i have put the original post back now.

Hi Bert123 - also, please read Writing Quality Post - in the future, you (and others who might do the same) need to really provide a MUCH better & descriptive title (suggestions can be found in the link).

Simply saying Emergency! Please help! is not only un-informative but annoying and not respectful of the rest of the community of posters - your issue will not be looked at any quicker that those of others in need of help; if fact, I've seen this type of title so often that I will often not even take a look; SO, next time take the advice from the useful post above. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.