Apple TV not working with Home Sharing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
Hello all! I'm having some problems connecting my Apple TV to my Home Sharing.

At home, I've had no problem. Apple TV works great. I have no problem sharing my iTunes media. I'm away from home visiting family, with my Apple TV in tow.

I've connected the Apple TV to the TV via HDMI. I have entered in all the proper wifi information. I'm able to stream Netflix, etc. But when I'm trying to connect to my iTunes folder, it tells me to turn on Home Sharing. Home Sharing is turned on.

I've rebooted iTunes, I've turned off and back on Home Sharing, I've rebooted my laptop, I've reset the Apple TV. Still no luck.

Also I don't have an option to mirror to Apple TV. The display is not an option under my laptop display choices. Both my laptop and Apple TV are connected to the same WIFI network. I'm at a complete loss why this won't work here but works great at home.

Any suggestions? THANKS!

Reaction score
On the Apple TV, do any computers show up under Settings > Computers?

OP
Leiyah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
On the Apple TV, do any computers show up under Settings > Computers?

No. When I go to Settings > Computers the only thing I see is an option to "Turn off Home Sharing". On the left side is a yellow home with a music note with some text about going to Apple TV - Apple Support for more information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I would also check what security is on the Network your on. I think I remember somewhere, ATV/Home Sharing won't work IF the WiFi Network is WEP It needs to be at least WAP2.

M

MJG196

This worked for me:

1. Open System Preferences from the Apple () menu.
2. Open the Sharing pane.
3. Double-click the name of your Mac in the Computer Name field.
4. Press Delete.
5. Type a new name in the now blank Computer Name field.
6. Close the Sharing pane. System Preferences automatically saves the new name.
7. Go to iTunes.
8. Quit iTunes and then launch it again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.