Will programs backed up through time machine conflict with a newly installed OS X?

Reaction score
After replacing a hard drive and installing a fresh OS Mavericks, will the programs I've backed up, like imovie, safari, preview e.t.c conflict with the newly installed programs?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It's not exactly a matter of conflicting as much as replacing. If you restore all the files in the Time Machine backup they will overwrite files in the new install. You could choose to restore only certain files. Which files do you still need to replace?

OP
C
Reaction score
I think i need to replace all of them since my hard drive is failing and i need the macbook the way it was

C

chas_m

Time Machine will NOT overwrite the newer programs, contrary to what Sly said. So, for example, if you had an older copy of iTunes and Mavericks has a newer version, Time Machine will NOT replace it with the older version. It will of course copy over the library and music and so forth just as it was. There should be no conflict whatsoever unless you're jumping forward in OS versions by a great amount or keeping outdated programs around.

OP
C
Reaction score
thank you. it sounds like copying over will take up a lot of space. will the OS sort this out or do I have to delete copy files? [or would a software update after backing up my files take care of everything?]

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Time Machine will NOT overwrite the newer programs, contrary to what Sly said. So, for example, if you had an older copy of iTunes and Mavericks has a newer version, Time Machine will NOT replace it with the older version. It will of course copy over the library and music and so forth just as it was. There should be no conflict whatsoever unless you're jumping forward in OS versions by a great amount or keeping outdated programs around.

Wow. How did I make that mistake? Thanks for correcting that for me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Wow. How did I make that mistake? Thanks for correcting that for me.

You were thinking about Carbon Copy Cloner which would do exactly what you said. ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You were thinking about Carbon Copy Cloner which would do exactly what you said. ;)

Yeah Carbon Copy Cloner that's it.:D

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

Thank you chas-m that is what I thought, and have advised others, so I was a bit worried there for a minute. (If there was an emoticon for relieved it would be here)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually you can restore a Time Machine backup from a previous version of OS X on to a new machine with a later version and it will only restore things like your data files, apps, and so forth. The restore will not disturb system files or anything (apps) that show a later version. I've done this numerous times with success.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.