Transfer music files from Windows to Mac

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Simple question for you I guess but I have copied all my music from my laptop running windows on to an external drive.

I import all my music via iTunes.

When I pick up my MacBook next week, will I simply be able to plug it in and move the files?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You should be able to. Was all of your music stored in the iTunes folder or was it somewhere else on the drive?

BTW if you want to preserve space on the hard drive you could keep the files on the external drive. The only read downsides are:

1. You need to make sure the external drive is connected and powered up when iTunes launches.
2. Music on the external drive is not available if you are away from the drive (not connected to it).

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the reply.
Yes - all the music was in the iTunes folder so I thought it would be ok.
I had thought about plugging in the external drive before booting up iTunes to keep space free but think I'll transfer it over to MacBook initially as that should leave about 400GB of space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.