Update Failure for Pages/Numbers/Keynote - no Apple Support

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2011; 2.3 ghz; 960 SSD; 17"; 16gigs RAM; OS: YOSEMITE 10.10; Iphone 6 128gig
Updates Available

Updates don’t work for Pages, Number, and Keynote

When I click software update

The App Store Page presents itself, (as always)

Three updates are Available

Keynote V 6.2.2 Released Aug 21, 2014

Numbers V 3.2.2 Released Aug 21, 2014

Pages V 5.2.2 Released Aug 21, 2014

Screen Shot:
http://nipomobeach.com/mac/ss1.png

Click Update all - Note same thing happens when done individually.

Screen Shot:
http://nipomobeach.com/mac/ss2.png

Click Continue
Screen Shot:
http://nipomobeach.com/mac/ss3.png

Click Accept

Screen Shot:
http://nipomobeach.com/mac/ss4.png

Click Download

Screen Shot:
http://nipomobeach.com/mac/ss4.png

Click Download…. These repeats itself for infinity.

What’s up Doc?

Last edited:
OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2011; 2.3 ghz; 960 SSD; 17"; 16gigs RAM; OS: YOSEMITE 10.10; Iphone 6 128gig
For the above question the OS is Mavericks - With all current updates.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your question is unclear. You stated the update failed, but the error you received said that Pages must be closed before it could be updated. Were any of those apps open and what do you mean "no Apple support"?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chscag:

Nothing was running. There were four messages. You can see the links above. This last just kept looping. you click on download and in a few seconds the same message continued to reappear. It was not an error message per se.

This should have been a very simple update. I also use office, so I don't use these programs much. I do occasionally use them on my ipad.

As to Apple, someone on Apple "Support" community thought I was a beta tester and was disclosing something inappropriately. Once that person statement was made Apple remove the post. I have never used any beta programs for Mac. He was talking IOS and I'm in Mavericks. I continuously keep OS 10.XX current.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like you I use Office rather than the iWork apps, however, I have had no problem updating Pages, Keynote, or Numbers. I would wait several days and then try the update again. If it persists in looping back and forth, you can always try removing the apps and reinstalling. The App Store purchases section should show that you have already purchased them and will allow downloading again.

Reaction score
there getting ready for the launch of yosemite so the servers for iCloud and updates are a little buggy at the moment

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thannks. I will wait a few days.

Actually I might wait untill I download Yosemite.

Thanks again.

Frank

C

chas_m

Your question is unclear. You stated the update failed, but the error you received said that Pages must be closed before it could be updated.

This is probably the root of the problem. A lot of people appear to think that clicking the "little red button" quits an app, but it does not in all cases (Apple is very inconsistent about this). Pages is probably still open, but with no active windows. An easy way to check: command-tab shows all open applications.

Or even more simply: restart the computer, which forces all apps to close. Then apply the updates.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The OP responded that nothing was running, and since he was also having difficulty with Keynote and Numbers and the looping problem, I suspect it was a glitch with the Apple download server.

C

chas_m

Could be, but just saying "nothing is running" is often not true IME. What users often mean by this is "nothing is open," which is quite different.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.