iPhones and AT&T plans

Reaction score
I could use opinions here...

I’m the primary for an older AT&T family plan. There’s 5 phones, mine, Husband’s, and three for in-laws we have been “hosting” but they’re getting kicked off by the end of the year. They don’t pay anything, add about $100/mo in costs, which even Husband is a bit tired (he’s the oldest, feels responsible, etc; the siblings are 38-52, old enough to pay their own bills).

My phone: a 4s, originally through AT&T. It is off-contract and unlocked (I had planned to use it during vacation, but didn’t). Anyway, I’m grandfathered into “unlimited data” but I seriously don’t usually use even 200Mb/mo.

Husband’s phone: a 4s, going off-contract soon, still locked because of that. He doesn’t use anywhere near 200Mb/mo.

In-laws phones: various, two are iPhones, one is a smart phone but is set for no data. Don’t ask me why, it just saves me money for now to not pay her data plan. The ones with data come near to 200Mb/mo but don’t exceed.

Once we kick those three off, we can switch plans a lot easier if we choose. What we have (without those three) would cost about the same as the AT&T Next plan, or we could go elsewhere. Coverage where we are is fair (not "great”) on all carriers.

What should I take into account in deciding whether to switch plans/carriers once we kick the deadbeats off?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What should I take into account in deciding whether to switch plans/carriers once we kick the deadbeats off?

If it's just you and your husband, your choices are a lot easier to make. Coverage is important especially if you live outside of a metro area. Unlimited text and talk are pretty well universal in most plans. If you don't need a lot of data, that will lower the cost. And a plan without a locked in contract of course would be great.

My wife and I are on T-Mobile which gives us unlimited text and talk plus 3 GB of data every month. Cost including all the federal taxes and local taxes is $72.00 a month. T-Mobile coverage is great for us because we live around a large metro area (Dallas - Fort Worth). Our plan is no contract which means we can switch carriers any time we choose and the phones are not locked.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes, I definitely want to stay off contract.

I'm in Central California (Fresno), so I'm in an urban area, surrounded by rural. T-Mobile isn't super great here, every carrier has issues, but we are considering it.

I can't wait to drop our bill.

Reaction score
With AT&T I pay 130/Month with 2 phones. I use tons of Data though because i work off shore and if i want internet i have to use my own. i have the unlimited calling and text with 10 gig of data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.