AirPort Time Capsule

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook pro 15 inch, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7.
I am trying to set up this new TC. I have a problem that my iMac whilst having it present on my list of Wi networks when I take the next step, after searching, the screen says error try again. Repeated this many times. Spoken to Apple help-no answer yet. Suggestion is there may be a conflict between TC and my British Telecom Hub 5 which also has a router. This problem has also caused me to ditch my earlier flat TC thinking it faulty.
I would be very happy if I could be advised how to remove the conflict by possibly adjusting settings on one of the machines, TC or Hub.
Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I am trying to set up this new TC. I have a problem that my iMac whilst having it present on my list of Wi networks when I take the next step, after searching, the screen says error try again. Repeated this many times. Spoken to Apple help-no answer yet. Suggestion is there may be a conflict between TC and my British Telecom Hub 5 which also has a router. This problem has also caused me to ditch my earlier flat TC thinking it faulty.
I would be very happy if I could be advised how to remove the conflict by possibly adjusting settings on one of the machines, TC or Hub.
Many thanks

Hello - may not be of much help since I'm not familiar w/ the BT Hub 5, but you don't need two routers although that combo can be used if you are able to setup the network & passcodes the same on both of the routers. Since the Time Capsule (TC) has an Apple Airport Extreme router + HD backup, can you disable the router feature of your BT Hub? If not and if your setup network works w/o the TC in place, then the other option is to simply add an external HD to do your Time Machine (TM) backups (assume that is your goal?).

For myself, I have an Apple AirPort Extreme (older 802.11n version) and simply have an external HD attached to my iMac doing TM - let me stop to allow you to respond. Dave :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Airport Time Capsule

Many thanks for reply. I have asked ISP for steps to disable router and hope to receive reply soon. Hope I then may be able to set up my TC. Yes I wd like to use for backup.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't have to disable your BT Hub 5 router, you just need to configure it for "bridge" mode so that the TC acts as the router while it's also providing backup. I don't know though if your BT provider will allow that. Probably best to check with them first.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag-many thanks. I awaiting reply from BT. Shame that Apple do not warn buyers that a router conflict can arise in some cases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I have a similar setup: Sky Hub (DSL modem/router) and TC.

On the Sky Hub side, WiFi and DHCP are disabled, and it is connected to the TC via ethernet.
That's about it - everything else is either plugged in or linked via WiFi to the TC. No conflicts, no problems :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks David.
Bt not too helpful-gave me several tech dept phone numbers pointing out there is a fee!
Imagine my hub and Sky to be similar-how did you disable WiFi and DHCP please?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry David there's more. My TC is flashing Amber to indicate not set up. I am connected to internet by wireless via Home Hub.I have ethernet from Home hub to iMac via home link extenders. If one closes wireless on Home Hub The TC takes over?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It is also possible to disable the router functions on the Time Capsule. That way the Hub 5 can function as the router. That is what I have set up with my ISP. The wireless functions can either be turned off entirely or used as either an extension of the wireless network or a separate wireless network. I have an older Time Capsule but the most recent release of the Airport software so the same setup should be possible for you.

I'll see if I can find good directions

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Airport Ti me Capsule

Thanks for that. Wd welcome directions.
J

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Try the folioing and let me know if it doesn't work.

1. With the Time Capsule powered on launch Airport Setup Utility.
2. Click on the Time Capsule then choose Edit.
3. At the next screen choose the "Network" tab and use the drop down menu to set Router Mode to Off.
4. Click Update. When that finishes try things to see if they are working properly.

If this does not work let me know. I've set my configuration to assign the Time Capsule a static IP address but that may not be necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I never had BT Hub - the last time I had broadband by BT was in 1999, during BT Interactive ADSL trial ;) so I won't be able to do a step-by-step guide, but basically you should be able to login into your BT Hub, and untick "enable wireless" or something to that effect. Next you might want to disable DHCP on the hub, as it will serve no purpose now. You'd need to connect your hub to your TC via ethernet cable, then open AirPort Utility and setup TC as you want. I prefer to use fixed IP addresses for everything, however if you need to allow new clients often enough, it might be better to keep DHCP.

Here's what Sky Hub setup looks like, to give you an idea:

ScreenShot2014-09-13at114850_zps38ba54ed.png~original

Well, the question has been answered while I was getting the pictorial narrative ready LOL, however these still might be useful, and illustrate what's been said above, and what I mentioned about static IPs:

ScreenShot2014-09-13at121959_zpsecbc82fc.png~original

ScreenShot2014-09-13at122102_zpsf6c0ca08.png~original

ScreenShot2014-09-13at122038_zpscc84f4d0.png~original

ScreenShot2014-09-13at122017_zps14ffeec4.png~original

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Airport Time Capsule

Thanks for the trouble. Unfortunately connecting my HH5 to TC does not bring up in Airport Utility. There fore stuck. Both my iPhone and iPad have Airport Utility apps and both recognise the TC from which I can see the following

IP Address
Version
Network ATC(Airport Time Capsule
Wireless Clients 1 =
Hardware info= Model Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac
Serial number=
Ethernet=
WiFi 2.4GHz=
WiFi 5GHz=

Can you say which of these I should delete please
Thanks
John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
John,

I never said connecting hub to TC will bring up the utility:

MBP17•David;1604856 said:
You'd need to connect your hub to your TC via ethernet cable, then open AirPort Utility and setup TC as you want.

I know this whole thing is a bit daunting, but you just need to take it slowly and not rush through anything ...

To get to AirPort Utility, click on Applications folder in your dock (right hand side), then scroll down, you'll see the Utilities folder, click on that - the AirPort Utility will be inside. Then just consult the screenshots and do it step-by-step and you'll be alright :D

PS Don't forget to disable WiFi on the BT Hub

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Airport Time Capsule

Hi again
Still struggling.
I am still unable to have my Airport Utility screen show my Time Capsule. I just have the world image down to 'internet' with a green dot and message that no base stations configured but Airport Utility will continue searching.
Both my iPhone and iPad access Airport Utility which in each case show the TC image with green light beside. I can click on the TC image to reveal some info-there are 3 wireless clients
My iMac and iPhone and iPad are connected to the same network.

Maybe something wrong with my iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
John, are you saying that your iMac is listed as one of the wireless clients, when you view AirPort utility on iOS device, but you have no access to TC from your iMac?

If that's the case, then the question is - did you use a different [admin] account to set up the TC on iMac?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi David
Thanks for reply. I have three wireless clients - don't know which is my iMac. How can I find out? When setting up the TC I let it set it up itself-font think I did any thing special. I'm no expert (would you believe)
John

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Airport Time Capsule

Hi again
i have now established that wireless client 04.54.53.03.8b:c3 is my iMac. What next please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure, to be honest - if iMac is connected to TC, but it doesn't show in AirPort, I can only think of different user account being used, to setup the link in the first place?

If it was me, I would wipe the slate clean and reset everything, starting with powering off the BT Hub, performing factory reset on TC, deleting any TC connection data from your devices, establishing a correct link between iMac and TC as if it was a new unit, then linking iOS devices to TC, then powering up BT Hub and disabling wifi on it, and finally connecting the Hub to the TC via ethernet and setting it up as illustrated above.

There might be a simpler and more elegant solution, but I'm afraid I do not know it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank again. Looks daunting. I thinking of forgetting the TC and getting a disc just for back up. I see WD have one that works with Time Machine.
John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.