Hitachi harddrive vs Western Digital harddrive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
backblaze did a blog https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/ about the best hard drive to buy. I'd like to know the community's experience with hitachi and WD and which one they would recommend

Hello - I'm sure that you'll be getting a LOT of varied opinions, but keep in mind that 'failure rates' apply to monitoring many hard drives and some will fail regardless of brand - you might just be the one that has that potential HD that fails before expected; thus, features and cost might be just as important reasons for your purchase(s).

I've read that linked review before and have put the two graphs in the post below - from their experience, seems that you should go w/ the WD and/or the Hitachi HDs. For myself, I have two 1 TB Seagate HDs doing my 'Time Machine (TM)' backups on my MBPro & iMac - I've been thinking of adding another HD TM to each of my computers (sort of like a pseudo-RAID 1) - NOW, I also have CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) on a 1 TB OWC HD (last pic below) - these are a little more expensive and I don't know how the failure numbers compared w/ those presented (maybe our other members can help) - THUS, if I setup second TM backups, I just might go w/ OWC - don't know yet? Dave :)

ADDENDUM: For those who may be running second TM backups on their computers, I'm assuming just plugging the second HDs into a USB slot and selecting TM backup is sufficient - should different names be used? Thanks.

blog-fail-drives-manufacture.jpg

blog-survival-drives-by-month.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 9.49.47 AM.png

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
thank you for the reply. you're right, the reviews about a hitachi travelstar and a wd scorpio black seem even on failure rates and noise. it boils down to price, and the travelstar is cheaper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And no drive is perfect. Have had Hitachi DeathStars fail early as well as WD and Seagates.

Best advise imho is buy according to the best warranty period.

OP
C
Reaction score
okay. it would boil down to a 1 T.B hybrid drive with a one year warranty or a 1 T.B HHD with a 3 year warranty

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.