iMac not connecting to any wireless network

Reaction score
I switched routers the other day--long story--and, when I went to connect one of our iMacs at home, it saw the network I created but, when I selected it to connect, nothing happened. Didn't ask me for a password, nothing. I tried connecting to another wireless network (hotspot on my phone), same thing, nothing. Just ignores that I'm selecting a network.

I turned the new router off (have to get another one as I'm having other issues with it, as I said, long story) and tried to connect to a network again hoping it was the new router messing things up. Still a no go connecting to anything.

It was connected just fine to my previous network. Just won't connect to anything now.

Running 10.9.4 on the iMac.

Any suggestions? I can't find anything online about this problem.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Help us out a little more -
Go to Network Prefs and make sure is at the top of the list on the left side, then with Wifi highlighted, tell us all the settings - Location and on the right side of the prefs pane.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I switched routers the other day--long story--and, when I went to connect one of our iMacs at home, it saw the network I created but, when I selected it to connect, nothing happened. Didn't ask me for a password, nothing. I tried connecting to another wireless network (hotspot on my phone), same thing, nothing. Just ignores that I'm selecting a network.

I turned the new router off (have to get another one as I'm having other issues with it, as I said, long story) and tried to connect to a network again hoping it was the new router messing things up. Still a no go connecting to anything.

It was connected just fine to my previous network. Just won't connect to anything now.

Running 10.9.4 on the iMac.

Hello - in addition, you really need to provide much more information about your hardware setup: 1) ISP being used (i.e. cable, DSL, satellite); 2) What router(s) are you trying to use or obtain (brands/models; 802.11 protocols desired, etc.); 3) Are you trying to connect your iMac via cable and/or Wi-Fi; and 4) Have you been able to connect other devices (e.g. iPad, iPhone, etc.) to your Wi-Fi network? I'll stop there and let you respond to both posts - Dave :)

OP
G
Reaction score
Help us out a little more -
Go to Network Prefs and make sure is at the top of the list on the left side, then with Wifi highlighted, tell us all the settings - Location and on the right side of the prefs pane.

Location is Automatic (never set up any locations) and there really are no other settings since I'm not connected to a WiFi network.

Hello - in addition, you really need to provide much more information about your hardware setup: 1) ISP being used (i.e. cable, DSL, satellite); 2) What router(s) are you trying to use or obtain (brands/models; 802.11 protocols desired, etc.); 3) Are you trying to connect your iMac via cable and/or Wi-Fi; and 4) Have you been able to connect other devices (e.g. iPad, iPhone, etc.) to your Wi-Fi network? I'll stop there and let you respond to both posts - Dave :)

1) ISP - Comcast Business Class although I'm not connected to it because I'm not connected to a WiFi router at this point.
2) Router - TP-Link TL-WDR4300 but, again, I can't connect to ANY wireless network. Tried connecting to my hotspot on my phone. Same thing. Just nothing.
3) As I mentioned, I'm trying to connect via WiFi.
4) Yes can connect other devices to this router. But, again, it's not just this router, it won't connect to ANYTHING wirelessly. It was connected wirelessly to the previous router so it's worked before.

Thanks for helping!

Rick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I'd start with generic maintenance -
Restart in Recovery Mode and use Disk Utility there to repair the hard drive (and permissions, too):
OS X: About OS X Recovery
(just read the first paragraph about how to get into Recovery)

Next, try creating a new Location in Network prefs.

OP
G
Reaction score
I'd start with generic maintenance -
Restart in Recovery Mode and use Disk Utility there to repair the hard drive (and permissions, too):
OS X: About OS X Recovery
(just read the first paragraph about how to get into Recovery)

Next, try creating a new Location in Network prefs.

This isn't a permissions or file issue. It's a pure network issue. I can try a new location but we'll see.

I try selecting other wireless networks (secured) it picks up and it just ignores that I even selected anything. Should ask me for a password but does nothing.

Worked fine and this happened when I switched routers. Could be a coincidence and I'm not sure what the router could do which would cause this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This isn't a permissions or file issue. It's a pure network issue. I can try a new location but we'll see.

I try selecting other wireless networks (secured) it picks up and it just ignores that I even selected anything. Should ask me for a password but does nothing.

Worked fine and this happened when I switched routers. Could be a coincidence and I'm not sure what the router could do which would cause this.

Hi Rick - have you tried to setup your new router (i.e.TP-LINK TL-WDR4300) cabled via ethernet to one of your iMacs? And did you use the exact name & password of your previous router's network - important when changing to a different router.

Also, might just be the router - in the spring of 2013, I bought a new iMac & MBPro (replaced my PC Dell desktop & my Dell laptop, i.e. I switch to Apple in my retirement); my Cisco 802.11n router (even using cabled ethernet) just did not seem to work w/ my new iMac - WELL, I bit the bullet (meaning more $$) and bought an Apple AirPort Extreme - no problem then - just a consideration if your current setup does not work out. Dave :)

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi Rick - have you tried to setup your new router (i.e.TP-LINK TL-WDR4300) cabled via ethernet to one of your iMacs? And did you use the exact name & password of your previous router's network - important when changing to a different router.

Also, might just be the router - in the spring of 2013, I bought a new iMac & MBPro (replaced my PC Dell desktop & my Dell laptop, i.e. I switch to Apple in my retirement); my Cisco 802.11n router (even using cabled ethernet) just did not seem to work w/ my new iMac - WELL, I bit the bullet (meaning more $$) and bought an Apple AirPort Extreme - no problem then - just a consideration if your current setup does not work out. Dave :)

I wound up having to get a different router to fix the printing problem I experienced with the (previous) new router. But still having the same issue trying to connect with the new iMac.

It's set up and working with my main iMac but the other iMac just won't connect to ANY network. That's the part I don't understand, I can see it not working with a specific (or different) router but it won't work with ANY wireless router at the moment. Not my hotspot or anything. I've tried selecting various networks just to see if it would ask me for a password showing it's trying to connect but nothing... It's like I didn't select anything.

I've tried restarting, tried a different account, still nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wound up having to get a different router to fix the printing problem I experienced with the (previous) new router. But still having the same issue trying to connect with the new iMac.

It's set up and working with my main iMac but the other iMac just won't connect to ANY network. That's the part I don't understand, I can see it not working with a specific (or different) router but it won't work with ANY wireless router at the moment. Not my hotspot or anything. I've tried selecting various networks just to see if it would ask me for a password showing it's trying to connect but nothing... It's like I didn't select anything.

I've tried restarting, tried a different account, still nothing.

OK - so you have the new router cabled into your main iMac and that connection is working - correct? And is the new router establishing Wi-Fi networks (my AirPort Extreme broadcasts 4 networks, standard & guest @ dual bands) that you can connect to w/ your laptop(s) or iDevices?

And if the above is true, you're not able to connect your new iMac wirelessly to the new router - correct? Do you feel the Wi-Fi adapter in the new iMac is not working? Just to ask an obvious question (and I apologize for probably being wrong) - is the Wi-Fi turned on in your new computer (like the Network dialog box below from my MBPro)? Also, have you gone into the 'About This Mac' menu to 'More Information' and looked @ the Wi-Fi data (see my second attachment) - I'm positive that you have but just saying? Good luck - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 5.50.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 5.58.38 PM.png

OP
G
Reaction score
OK - so you have the new router cabled into your main iMac and that connection is working - correct? And is the new router establishing Wi-Fi networks (my AirPort Extreme broadcasts 4 networks, standard & guest @ dual bands) that you can connect to w/ your laptop(s) or iDevices?

And if the above is true, you're not able to connect your new iMac wirelessly to the new router - correct? Do you feel the Wi-Fi adapter in the new iMac is not working? Just to ask an obvious question (and I apologize for probably being wrong) - is the Wi-Fi turned on in your new computer (like the Network dialog box below from my MBPro)? Also, have you gone into the 'About This Mac' menu to 'More Information' and looked @ the Wi-Fi data (see my second attachment) - I'm positive that you have but just saying? Good luck - Dave :)

No stupid questions here. :)

Yes, wireless is on (have tried cycling it a few times).

My main iMac is connected directly to the cable modem, however, I have cabled it directly to the wireless modem to try it out and that works fine.

And yes, other devices connect to it just fine (including my other iMac, which I've also connected to it wirelessly to check).

I cannot connect to ANYTHING wirelessly with the other iMac. Again, when I select a wireless network--ANY wireless network--it doesn't do ANYTHING. Doesn't ask for a password or anything. Just ignores my selection.

I've looked at the data in the about screen but not sure what I'm looking for. It shows ALL of the WiFi networks you can see at my house (neighbors', etc.).

I'm out of ideas on this one. This isn't a router issue, this is a Mac issue. It won't connect to ANYTHING. It did work before, however (wirelessly).

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm out of ideas on this one. This isn't a router issue, this is a Mac issue. It won't connect to ANYTHING. It did work before, however (wirelessly).

It sounds like your iMac decided to quit wireless on you. Try a PRAM reset and a SMC reset to see if that brings it back to life. Also, for the heck of it, check to see if Blue Tooth is working on that iMac.

Reaction score
does the other iMac have a wireless a/b/g/n card in it or is it just a g card the reason i ask if you have a router that is wireless n only older iMacs won't connect because there wireless g not n compatible

OP
G
Reaction score
It sounds like your iMac decided to quit wireless on you. Try a PRAM reset and a SMC reset to see if that brings it back to life. Also, for the heck of it, check to see if Blue Tooth is working on that iMac.

Tried both and still not working. Ugh!

OP
G
Reaction score
does the other iMac have a wireless a/b/g/n card in it or is it just a g card the reason i ask if you have a router that is wireless n only older iMacs won't connect because there wireless g not n compatible

This isn't the issue. It's the internal card. It won't connect to ANY network. It's not a specific router issue. It ignores me selecting ANY network to connect to. It's like I never selected it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My main iMac is connected directly to the cable modem, however, I have cabled it directly to the wireless modem to try it out and that works fine.

And yes, other devices connect to it just fine (including my other iMac, which I've also connected to it wirelessly to check).

I cannot connect to ANYTHING wirelessly with the other iMac. Again, when I select a wireless network--ANY wireless network--it doesn't do ANYTHING. Doesn't ask for a password or anything. Just ignores my selection.

I've looked at the data in the about screen but not sure what I'm looking for. It shows ALL of the WiFi networks you can see at my house (neighbors', etc.).

I'm out of ideas on this one. This isn't a router issue, this is a Mac issue. It won't connect to ANYTHING. It did work before, however (wirelessly).....

Hi again Rick - I'm not being of much help here, but was just looking at the statement above in bold - in my setup, I have my cable modem (Road Runner) wired to my AirPort Extreme router (via the WAN or internet port) and then cabled from the router to my iMac - that is the usual cabling recommendation. If not already done, give that a try and why not just plug your new iMac into the router w/ an ethernet cable to see if your non-wireless adapter is working. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
This isn't a permissions or file issue. It's a pure network issue.

I don't get this answer. Network connections require the proper read of Numerous system files and prefs files. Or have you already repaired the drive or done a Safe Boot?

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi again Rick - I'm not being of much help here, but was just looking at the statement above in bold - in my setup, I have my cable modem (Road Runner) wired to my AirPort Extreme router (via the WAN or internet port) and then cabled from the router to my iMac - that is the usual cabling recommendation. If not already done, give that a try and why not just plug your new iMac into the router w/ an ethernet cable to see if your non-wireless adapter is working. Dave :)

Again, this isn't an issue with a specific router. I can't connect to ANY WiFi network. That's the problem. I just gave the router switch info so everyone has the whole story. But this isn't a router issue, this is an iMac/MacOS issue at this point. Besides, this router works fine with every other device I've got in the house--including my iMac (the other is the one for the kids).

I'll have to drag it into the room with the cable modem and see if I can get a wired connection but that won't help my wireless issue (not feasible to have a wired connection.

Anyone know why it wouldn't connect to ANY wireless network?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

After reading through this entire thread, it appears (to me anyway) that the wireless card in your iMac has failed. It's rare to have that happen in an iMac. I've seen it a number of times in MacBook and MacBook Pro machines.

Can you see your wireless card at all when you open the Activity Monitor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Again, this isn't an issue with a specific router. I can't connect to ANY WiFi network. That's the problem. I just gave the router switch info so everyone has the whole story. But this isn't a router issue, this is an iMac/MacOS issue at this point. Besides, this router works fine with every other device I've got in the house--including my iMac (the other is the one for the kids).

I'll have to drag it into the room with the cable modem and see if I can get a wired connection but that won't help my wireless issue (not feasible to have a wired connection.

Rick - running out of ideas so hopefully our 'network gurus' might 'chime in' to help - can you post a screenshot of the information about your networks from the 'new' iMac like my second image on the previous page? Just curious what is (or is not) showing up and again might help others.

I'm assuming that the computer is under Apple warranty? Might just be a defective Wi-Fi adapter in the machine? Dave :)

OP
G
Reaction score
Rick - running out of ideas so hopefully our 'network gurus' might 'chime in' to help - can you post a screenshot of the information about your networks from the 'new' iMac like my second image on the previous page? Just curious what is (or is not) showing up and again might help others.

I'm assuming that the computer is under Apple warranty? Might just be a defective Wi-Fi adapter in the machine? Dave :)

I can't post a screenshot as I can't connect to anything. Also, I don't see it helping anyone because, as I say, it won't connect to anything.

It's not under warranty any longer otherwise I'd just get in touch with them again.

I appreciate you trying to help. Just hope someone has an idea on this one. I can't find anything about this specific type of problem anywhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.