• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Carriers rolling out exclusive iPhone 6 plans/deals

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Both Sprint and Verizon are launching special deals for iPhone 6 buyers.

Verizon: Verizon offers iPhone 6 for free - Sep. 9, 2014

Verizon will let you have a 16GB iPhone 6 free with a new 2 year contract and you old iPhone all the way back to the iPhone 4! In reality, they give you a $200 credit, I assume can be used for any iPhone.

What I want to know about this deal is:
- Is it only for people' whose contract is up, or can I jump in even if my contract is another year out? (only way this plan could be a good deal)
- Do you have to trun in the phone currently on you Verizon plan, or can you go ut and buy an old Verison iPhone 4 and turn it in? (if this and question 1 are yes, go buy a cheap iPhone 4 for $100 and get a $200 credit!)
- Is it available to non-Verizon customers?

Sprint: Sprint Will Be Launching New Rent-a-iPhone Plan Called 'iPhone for Life'

Sprint if offering a speical, cheaper unlimited plan for iphone customers. $50 a month for unlimited everything, even LTE. And lease a new iPhone for $20 a month.

I liek the Sprint deal best. It is very cheap overall. Maybe you could make out slightly better if you buy a subsidized phone and sell it the end of hte contract, but this is probably close, and it takes away all the hassle of selling/buying. The only drawback is you have to keep that sucker safe and not break it!

I would probably jump on the Sprint deal if they would roll out LTE in my city. I'm in Cincinnati and for some reason Sprint hates Cincinnati. Literally every other similar sized city in the country has had Sprint LTE for a while now, and they have movedo n to smaller markets. I don't know why they hate Cincinnati so much.

Anyone interested in these deals?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'd be interested in the Verizon details. No carrier is giving you a "free lunch". I've dug into prices and deals from all major carriers and settled on T-Mobile because they gave me the most for my money. Verizon has great coverage most everywhere and so does AT&T. Sprint not only has lousy coverage, their customer service in my opinion is at the bottom of the pile. T-Mobile coverage is likewise lousy outside of metro areas but their customer service is top notch (in my opinion).

Choose wisely and do your homework before committing to a 2 year contract. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
You must be eligible for an upgrade to take advantage of Verizon's offer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
Customers with Verizon that still have unlimited data plans may be surprised to find that they will lose the unlimited data option unless they pay FULL price for the phone.

Reaction score
My Canadian 4s contract runs out next month so had to make a difficult decision. Upgraded to a 6 for two years but very reluctantly owing to the service price hike, and frankly I like the compact 4s size. Happy with Apple gear, but unhappy with the service cost. Oh well, it is done. Going to be reminded with every monthly bill though.

C

chas_m

Any particular reason you didn't buy a used "5-class" iPhone that's been unlocked and use that instead?

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You must be eligible for an upgrade to take advantage of Verizon's offer.

Yeah, I found that out. Very disappointed. :( I should have known better. But the way the article read ,and saying the 5S was part of the offer, I thought there was a possibility of an early upgrade.

I think my wife and I will be moving over to T-Mobile and hanging onto our current phones. Neither of us are too excited about the larger phones. I'll have to pay a some ETF, but saving $60 a month by going to T-Mo will make up for that in just a few months.

I would seriously consider Sprint's offer, but they just hate my city, apparently, because they will not bring LTE here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think my wife and I will be moving over to T-Mobile and hanging onto our current phones. Neither of us are too excited about the larger phones. I'll have to pay a some ETF, but saving $60 a month by going to T-Mo will make up for that in just a few months.

Check with T-Mobile customer service. I heard they will pay your ETF, however, I don't know if that means you have to sign a contract with them or not. We're with T-Mobile (2 phones) and have no contract.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
I also read somewhere that Verizon's trade in for credit deal is only good for the iPhone 6, and will not include the iPhone 6 plus.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check with T-Mobile customer service. I heard they will pay your ETF, however, I don't know if that means you have to sign a contract with them or not. We're with T-Mobile (2 phones) and have no contract.

They will, but you have to give them your phone AND buy own of theirs.

No free lunch there either.

I think I'll owe less than $200, which will be paid for after a few months on T-Mo's cheaper plans.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.