wireless connection between HD and a mac

Reaction score
i have an external hard drive (western digital) with a usb socket on thew back and now have a mini mac with wireless built in.

now heres the question, if i get a wireless dongle thingy for the back of the device would my mac pick it up, and would i be able to transfer data?

sorry if that dont make sense

the mac idiot (a 2 day old mac virgin - if thats the right word)

:dummy:

Reaction score
vokeyuk said:
if i get a wireless dongle thingy for the back of the device would my mac pick it up

No, I don't believe such a dongle thingy exists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
no "dongle thingy" exist that will allow you to attach it to a hard drive to put it on a network wirelessly

you could however share the drive on the network by plugging into one of your computers and seting it to share that drive.

Reaction score
If you really wanted to do something like that you could do it with a NAS hard drive. and a wireless router.

OP
V
Reaction score
thanks all. looks as tough a usb hub is in order, thanks for the input though

Reaction score
That wouldn't be a good idea in my opinion. Letting your internet cut off is fine, but being in the middle of a file transfer and being cut, gross.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
vokeyuk said:
thanks all. looks as tough a usb hub is in order, thanks for the input though

Yeah, the best options are either to attach it to another computer and use it as a file share through your network or buy a router with a USB port for attaching networked storage. Some companies make basic devices that interface with a network and storage devices, such as Keyspan's USB server, available here:

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/server/

Convenient, but runs a bit pricey at $125 a pop. Also, wireless USB (WUSB) is around the corner, so be looking for that soon too.

OP
V
Reaction score
kaidomac said:
Yeah, the best options are either to attach it to another computer and use it as a file share through your network or buy a router with a USB port for attaching networked storage. Some companies make basic devices that interface with a network and storage devices, such as Keyspan's USB server, available here:

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/server/

Convenient, but runs a bit pricey at $125 a pop. Also, wireless USB (WUSB) is around the corner, so be looking for that soon too.

a poss option, my current router doesnt have a usb, but may be worth a change longer term, thanks for the advice

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.