• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Watch

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Maps wouldn't work immediately after the upgrade, but forcing a hard reset (pressing both buttons simultaneously) cured this after restarting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
I keep getting and irritating error message:
"Unable to Check for Update" It also states I am not connected to the Internet....
I'm on on iOS 9.1 I wonder if that is the issue....
Monty

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try a hard reset of your iPhone. That seems to shake out a lot of issues like this.

On a side note: the watch generated some picture faces for me automatically, both of my cat, which was cute if a little spooky!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
My update is stuck on verifying. It has taken longer to verify than to download and install. Not sure what to do. I will keep waiting for now.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
Thanks! The hard reset fixed it!!!
Monty

Try a hard reset of your iPhone. That seems to shake out a lot of issues like this.

On a side note: the watch generated some picture faces for me automatically, both of my cat, which was cute if a little spooky!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Ah well, at least I'm not alone with upgrade problems. Seems very erratic though.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My update is stuck on verifying. It has taken longer to verify than to download and install. Not sure what to do. I will keep waiting for now.

Lisa

Some people experiencing this problem over on MacRumours power cycled the watch when it hung on Verifying and that kicked it back into action. Which seemed brave to me, but it did work for (several of) them!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After waiting over an hour for it to verify, I had to reset my iPhone and power cycle my watch. When I did it took off like a champ and finished the update. The really weird thing was initially after the update was done, my phone showed that the version of OS on the watch was 1.0.1 (and that it was up to date!) and the watch showed OS 2. I had to power off my phone again to show the correct OS version on the watch.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A new experience! I was watching the news and my watch responded to a "Hey Siri" from the TV (commercial). I felt the haptic tap and looked down to see it rapidly typing out what was being said on the TV.

So.... I have turned off the "Hey Siri" option for now. I did ask her what she thought she was doing! No explanation just silence. Reminded me of when one of the kids got in trouble.

Lisa

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That should only trigger if your screen had just activated on a raise. Pausing just a few seconds seems to cause the feature to go dormant again in my experience. And it's a one time thing. If you try it then abort, you can't use Hey Siri again until you lower and raise your wrist again as far as I can tell.

I think you were just very unlucky!

ETA: Just done some experimenting. I think this has changed with wOS 2.0. It's a lot more keen to listen than it used to be.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Does the iPhone have to be iOS9 first?

My iPhone says the Watch is up to date at 1.0.1 :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes the iPhone has to have iOS 9 installed.

Lisa

C

chas_m

I recommend visiting a store if you can. The sales people aren't pushy (though they are keen), and they can answer questions. The Watch they'll put on you runs a demo, but there are units you can play with more specifically, and trying on bands often leads to a few surprises (but mainly along the lines of "oh that's very nice -- sorry, HOW much?"). I knew exactly what I was going to get, but the time spent at the store did show me some other possibilities I may add to this Watch in the future in the way of bands I liked.

Reaction score
I'm still deciding on whether to buy the watch... I love the new Iphone 6s it is soooo seamless and quick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can visit a store to try them out that is the best way to get an idea. I went to an Apple Store and tried several on before I bought the Sport Aluminum 42mm.

I love mine because of the services it provides. I can keep my iPhone on vibrate and my watch will notify me of a call by haptic taps - and a quiet ringing if I want it. I like text message notifications that I can quickly glance at to see if I need to respond immediately or wait. I use the Fantastical calendar which reminds me of appointments. And the turn by turn maps that tap your wrist when a route change is coming up is nice.

The watch does communicate with your iPhone using bluetooth so you must have them within 30ish feet of each other. Although I have found I don't need to carry my iPhone when I walk for exercise. When I am done they will sink the information and update the health app on my iPhone.

I have always worn a watch so this was not a big decision for me. But if you are someone who is use to constantly carrying your iPhone and use it to check the time or updates you might not like the adjustment to wearing it.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.