• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

new iphone 6

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
But you changed his words misquoting him.

I still say unless you wear Saggers down to your knees, a almost 6" phone will not fit in any pants pocket I would wear. I don't care who makes it and I am not a lady and not carrying a hand bag either! :D Grin

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
A rather interesting discussion so far.

I've watched the keynote, read several articles, etc. I will say I was glad to see some of the changes made to the phones. Do I think that this new phone is revolutionary? No, more like a evolutionary step for the iPhone. Apple has a long history of taking and improving on (let's face it, there were smart phones long before the first iPhone) other peoples technology and ideas. It's not a bad way to do business, as it allows one to see what does and doesn't work then make it better. Apple obviously needed proof that a larger phone was in demand - they got it so they made it. There is no huge awesome new technology in this phone that is being released - it's really just an improvement.

NFC - been around. Apple may have improved its potential in the new phone; I honestly don't know. Unfortunately, there is only one place in my town I could possibly use it (Subway) (the mcd's here is disgusting) so I probably wouldn't use it a lot.

Larger screens - been around. Apple has improved their devices by offering larger screens. I honestly think they should have come out with 3 sizes and dropped the 5 line. Like a 6s, 6m and 6l (or 6+) where they share the same processor and features and the differences are only the screen sizes to accommodate those that like the small medium and large size phones.

Thinner phones - Apple has honestly always been the master on thin devices; but it's really also looking at what other companies do and making it better.

Fingerprint scanner - more of a convenience lock then hugely secure. It can be hacked as just about every other fingerprint scanner can using the same methodologies.

Really there isn't much new that can be put into a mobile phone - improvements yes (screen, battery, CPU, GPU, storage, etc.) - but actual new groundbreaking technology; unless someone comes up with something, we're probably not going to see a lot of new hardware based features - software is what will make a bigger difference than hardware for a while IMHO.

The watch is kinda cool. I may get one next year as I've been looking for something that would do walking, biking, heart rate, act as a watch, etc. and I just haven't been thrilled by what is on the market currently. Samsung watch is kinda nice, but up there in price like the Apple watch.

I also agree with Van that Apple and Security have not historically gone well together in that they tend to be slow in fixing flaws so some of the new features (ie: NFC) I probably wouldn't use even if I had the opportunity unless I had it tied to a very low limit CC.

All this said, I will say I have pre ordered a 6 (not plus) - my existing phone (Samsung S3) is having all kinds of problems since the latest update to kit kat so it was an opportune moment for me to get a new phone and the main reason I had switched away from Apple iPhone was the screen size (my eyes aren't the greatest, but I can't stand the size of something like the Note2/3/iPhone 6+) and now that Apple has a phone in a size that I like I'll be going back. I won't be using NFC unless I get an attach a low limit CC to it so if it is compromised I wouldn't be out potentially what my main CC's are (then again, with only Subway to use it at, I probably won't use it anyway ;) ).

To sum up - IMHO; TL;DR: The new iPhone 6 is a minor evolutionary step from the 5s (except maybe the sapphire glass, not sure on that yet). Biggest changes will be in the iOS for now. Apple needs to to better handle security issues promptly. I am an iPhone 6 owner (just not in my hands until the 19th) but I don't think it was an earth moving announcement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Are you comparing Touch ID to the Samsung fingerprint thing? If so, hoo boy are you in for a pleasant surprise! Touch ID is so far superior it's not even funny.

Not sure why you would think that styluses don't work on iPhones if one wants to use them. Me, I dictate most things.

Well I can only hope. I had a finger print scanner on an HP laptop, also on an Alienware laptop along with face recognition - very frustrating. Never even considered it on any of my Samsung phones - just turned it off. Seems my finger prints are hard to read. I have this on authority from my local sheriff and education department - and before you all start wondering just why I have my finger prints scanned....I am a retired teacher and have to be background checked if I plan to sub and it has to be done every year. It takes multiple tries using various techniques to readable prints. So I would love it if Apple created a superior scanner.

I know that a stylus will work on the iPhone, but I love the fact my note has it integrated into the phone and I can slide it out to use it. As to dictation...not practical in the grocery store when I am looking at a list of what I need. Just a preference. I am sure if I want the iPhone bad enough I can work around it.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But you changed his words misquoting him.

I still say unless you wear Saggers down to your knees, a almost 6" phone will not fit in any pants pocket I would wear. I don't care who makes it and I am not a lady and not carrying a hand bag either! :D Grin

Hum... I am a lady with a handbag but my 5.5" note 2 rides just fine in my back pocket of my jeans. And they are not down to my knees. Just sayin' ;D

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hum... I am a lady with a handbag but my 5.5" note 2 rides just fine in my back pocket of my jeans. And they are not down to my knees. Just sayin' ;D

Lisa

LOL, my wife won't wear jeans but she has a handbag that weighs a ton! I guess that's why she wants the 6+ to add to the weight. What's a real laugh is when her phone rings and she can't find it in her handbag soon enough to avoid a missed call. Maybe with the 6+ it'll be easier to find. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, my wife won't wear jeans but she has a handbag that weighs a ton! I guess that's why she wants the 6+ to add to the weight. What's a real laugh is when her phone rings and she can't find it in her handbag soon enough to avoid a missed call. Maybe with the 6+ it'll be easier to find. :p

You laugh but I bet when you need something she has it in her purse. ;D

I didn't come from a generation that wore jeans to shop or work in but 30 years as a vocational/shop teacher converted me. A lot of items road in my jeans pockets over the years. Adding a phone to my back pocket has not been a problem.

That said I am not sure if it will be the 6 or 6+ yet. I want to hold one first.

Lisa

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wear size 30 Levis and the front pockets where I want the phone really are tight with even my old 3GS. I can not imagine a almost 6" phone. Back pockets where I live are dangerous as I have been almost pick pocketed many times from the back. I can feel people getting close and spin around and see their hand reaching for my wallet! After that i stopped putting the wallet in the back pocket! :D

One of the Pocket Pickers was a 12 year old kid! He was shocked when I spun around and grabbed his arm! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
The thing that I don't get is how a Lady thats all of 5'6" can carry a huge purse, and about 60lbs in it. I laugh every time I hold my Honey's purse, because the thing is definitely not lite. :Smirk:

Well, I'm one of those iPhone owners that is in a holding pattern. I won't purchase an iPhone 6 plus until I've had a chance to hold one in my hands, and until I find more comparison information with other phones in the market. I've already read some things for, and against, but it seems to be all speculation. And there seems to be enough question marks regarding the iPhone 6 plus to warrant my taking it slow and making sure of my next mobile phone decision. Will have to wait anyway since shipping for the iPhone 6 plus seems to have slid into November if you order one now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I'm one of those iPhone owners that is in a holding pattern. I won't purchase an iPhone 6 plus until I've had a chance to hold one in my hands, and until I find more comparison information with other phones in the market. I've already read some things for, and against, but it seems to be all speculation. And there seems to be enough question marks regarding the iPhone 6 plus to warrant my taking it slow and making sure of my next mobile phone decision. Will have to wait anyway since shipping for the iPhone 6 plus seems to have slid into November if you order one now.

I agree. I almost pre-ordered but decided to wait since I still can't make up my mind on which one. I also want to see how the first ones shake out and how owners are liking them...or if there are any problems. Plus my carrier says 4-6 weeks on the iPhone 6+ so I can wait.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I may have been given a reprieve by my wife. She bought a new living room couch converter bed yesterday. ($$$) That put a dent in our budget for the month of September. Waiting is probably what we'll do for now. O:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I may have been given a reprieve by my wife. She bought a new living room couch converter bed yesterday. ($$$) That put a dent in our budget for the month of September. Waiting is probably what we'll do for now. O:)

I'm still betting on Santa Claus for you!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New dilemma - my carrier is offering a leasing program. I am not sure I like the idea though.

This is for the iPhone 6+ I have a choice:
1. pay $299.99 and 2 yr contract
2. $31.25 for 24 months and I own the phone at the end
3. lease by paying $25 extra per month for 24 months and at the end continue to pay the $25/mo or turn in the phone for the newest, latest, greatest or buy the phone for an as yet undisclosed amount.

One interesting note - they are offering an unlimited talk, txt, and data plan for $50/mo.

I tend to do option #1 then pass my old phone on to a family member or recycle it. I come out money ahead. The other options seems to make way more money for the carrier.

Too many choices but I have time. Looks like a 4-6 week wait on the 6+ which I have pretty much decided on.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV

Lisa

I can't believe people keep their expensive phones in their back pockets! Not only is there the issue of potentially breaking it if you sit on a hard surface, but a phone that size must at least stick out a little, which just screams "STEAL ME!" to pickpockets.

Reaction score
On a deviated side note; anyone getting repeated updates on the same apps? o_O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't believe people keep their expensive phones in their back pockets! Not only is there the issue of potentially breaking it if you sit on a hard surface, but a phone that size must at least stick out a little, which just screams "STEAL ME!" to pickpockets.

I usually only put my phone in my back pocket when I am at work where we use them to txt info when I am in different parts of the building. Otherwise it is in my purse. I also wear long shirts so it is covered. I don't tend to have a "print" showing when it is in my back pocket.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro + 27" iMac
One of the most perceptive technology reviewers is John Naughton in The Observer newspaper (published on Sundays in the UK). His view of the Apple iPhone 6 launch is at the following link:

How the iPhone 6 literally pays for itself | Technology | The Observer

What I found really interesting was his view, as with many of you, that the iPhone 6 is incremental but that the real advance for Apple was Apple Pay. Given that Apple is doing deals with Visa, Mastercard and the bank networks to have the iPhone used as a payment mechanism gives Apple the opportunity to negotiate a kickback from these providers for part of the value of every transaction which the iPhone is used for. The percentage only has to be very small for Apple to have a significant income stream.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
One of the most perceptive technology reviewers is John Naughton in The Observer newspaper (published on Sundays in the UK). His view of the Apple iPhone 6 launch is at the following link:

How the iPhone 6 literally pays for itself | Technology | The Observer

What I found really interesting was his view, as with many of you, that the iPhone 6 is incremental but that the real advance for Apple was Apple Pay. Given that Apple is doing deals with Visa, Mastercard and the bank networks to have the iPhone used as a payment mechanism gives Apple the opportunity to negotiate a kickback from these providers for part of the value of every transaction which the iPhone is used for. The percentage only has to be very small for Apple to have a significant income stream.

Its a very good business decision if they can implement and maintain the safety and security safeguards correctly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its a very good business decision if they can implement and maintain the safety and security safeguards correctly.

Boy, do I ever agree with that! All it will take is a Target or Home Depot type security breech for everything to go to the pits real fast. Let's hope Apple and their partners have got their act together. ;)

C

chas_m

If you're wondering about it, the Financial Times has broken it down in detail. The TL;DR version is that Apple's system is considerably safer than any system presently in use. This is not the same thing as saying it is perfect, impervious and foolproof, but I have to say I can't find any flaws in what they've described, and again it seems to be a big improvement on the far-more-fallible systems we have in place now.

Details on Apple Pay revealed: 'safer' system, Apple gets 0.15 percent | MacNN

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.